SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Best way of getting your own web server?

(34 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by danbywinby
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1191 times

danbywinby

But GoDaddy doesn't allow you to access it via Remote Desktop. All I want is to find a company which will sell you a server which you can access via Remote Desktop, I want this so that I can host more than one website on it at a time.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

What does remote desktop have to do with a web site? I'm not understanding what you want to do. At some point you must access a website via a browser. Unless your purpose is to avoid restrictions on the computer you are using by a boss, parent or teacher. Those type of requests we do not address here.

What is preventing you from accessing a website normally?

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

I want a web server so that I can host multiple websites and multiple domains not just one website or one domain

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

You do that by getting more than one web site, at different providers even if you want. Still don't understand why you'd want different domains? That are usually in terms of specific machines connected, not web sites?

What do I (and others it seems) not understand about what you wish to do? Please fully explain with full details, that would probably help? Maybe it is technical terms you are using that are wrong in this scenario?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

Sorry I must be explaining it wrong I shall try and explain it again.

My mate has his own web server which he pays £10 a month for he cannot physically access the computer he can only access it through Remote Desktop or F.T.P. He hosts multiple websites on it for example he had one for yandles garage and one for andy woodgate driver training each with their own unique URLS e.g. Www.yandlesgarage.co.uk. He also has his personal website on there and I also have two websites on there. These websites also have PHP MySQL on them. The computer runs Windows Server 2012.

I want something similar to what my mate has got.

Has that helped to explain it better??

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Aren't they using https://www.123-reg.co.uk/ ?

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

Yes for their website address but the actual website is hosted on my mates server

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

????

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I don't think it is 'his server' but his personal space on 123-reg.co.uk.

Most 'hosts' publish YOUR website. You FTP to a SPECIFIC folder on the web site via an FTP address that directs you to the proper folder on the host server. That company which OWNS the server PUBLISHES your FOLDER as an IP Address and you generally have an INDEX.HTML as the entry point to that folder, unless it is a pure FTP repository. Difference is WHICH port is used, 21h or 80h.

You update/change files by using FTP to put the new files (or delete one) to the host server.

You can have as many 'unique' web sites with different names on a host computer, such as the ones on 123-reg.co.uk, as you want and they are all independent. You will have to 'purchase' each one individually. I don't think most hosts will allow a master 'menu' where you would come into the host via a browser and see 2 or more companies you could select.

Does this help explain how it works or are you trying to do something different.

I suspect you are confusing Remote Desktop with possibly opening a web site with a browser OR an FTP site with an FTP client which allows you to delete/add files?

Remote desktop would allow you to RUN the remote computer from YOUR computer. That means execute programs as if you were sitting at the computer. Add/delete/move/edit almost any file on the computer as well, and I don't think a hosting company would allow this.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

It is definitely his server he connects to it through Remote Desktop he can run applications in it like notepad++ to edit the websites, it runs windows server 2012 and it does work like he is sat at the computer plus I have my own account on there to access the server to edit my sites. The website addresses are provided by 123-reg but the actual website is hosted on his server.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Way..........back I asked, if it is your mate why don't you just ask him?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well, we seem to be getting nowhere here? Why not contact www.123-reg.co.uk and ask them how to do it?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

Right guys i have talked to my mate and he has told me that basically what he has is just a standard server with windows server 2012 installed on it and he accesses it via remote desktop the server is not owned by 123-reg. Does this make it a bit clearer?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Yes, HE is running the Web Server from his home probably. Check with YOUR ISP to see if you can do this.

I would assume the Web Server he has is near him but he has no display and maybe keyboard/mouse attached and using Remote Desktop is how he controls it.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!