SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Best way of getting your own web server?

(34 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by danbywinby
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1191 times

danbywinby

Hi

What is the best way of getting your own web server? Is it better to have a virtual one which you pay a company for or is tit better to have your own web server running in your own house?

What are your thoughts on this?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

The big question would be can you get from your service provider the bandwidth at your home location to support the traffic you expect. Then there is, of course some labor required to maintain the server. Do you have the time or would that time be better spent on your project?

The Upload and download speeds at your home location is also a question to be looked into. If your upload speed is slow then your response to consumers will be slow. If you are just doing it for relatives rather than the general public then it would probably work well at home.

Those are just a couple of the considerations.

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

My home is out int he countryside so the internet isnt that great but for my uses it is perfect but if i was add a web server it probably wouldn't cope very well and for maintenance at the moment i would probably have the time to learn the skills and stuff. And to start with the websites would probe be just for m for learning new skills to do with creating websites and stuff but over time the audience could get bigger.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

running a web server from home with little bandwidth (which has to be paid for) would slow you down even further.
In this case I would be looking for a hosting site to enable this.
There are many but you would pay a fee, not unreasonable

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Then if it gets too big you can always move it to a web site host on line. It all depends on what skills you are wanting/willing to learn. There are also free web sites available on places like Google sites .

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

Well at the moment i am hosting my websites on my mates web-server by i would eventually like to host them myself either on my own server in my home or on my own virtual server.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Many ISP's do NOT allow you to run your own Web Server. Many routinely scan for PORT 80 open as well. Some do have dedicated 'home' server that you can use.

I'd check with the ISP before investing any time in this.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

Well in that case then i guess I better go forget a home server then.

So how would I go about getting my own virtual web server? Also my mates one has windows server 2012 and FTP, remote desktop access and IIS and PHP,MySQL so I would like to have all this in my own server aswell if possible.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

It isn't just 'home' server the ISP may not allow, it is ANY server.

You don't need a server for Remote Desktop Access either. FTP either, it uses a different port, but ISP may not allow that either.

A server is really just a computer that allows connects to specific ports via the Internet and has an Internet fixed IP Address (usually) that someone knows to access the services it provides.

With slow internet speeds running one can be problematic for those trying to connect to it as well and if it is running on the machine you are using, it will degrade your usage.

Is your mate on your same ISP? How is your mate's performance?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

I don't what ISP my mate is using but yeah I know you said that some ISPs might not allow servers do that why I said I wouldn't try running a server from my house but buying one from a company and using that to host my websites

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

Does anybody on here have a virtual web server which they have bought from a company and would recommend them??

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Not sure what you mean by virtual web server, but I have two websites at GoDaddy and have been quite happy with them, if that is what you mean.

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

No that's not what I'm looking for I think what my mate called it was a VPS but he accesses it through Remote Desktop and it looks and works like a normal windows 8 pc but running windows server 2012 not windows 8

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

VPN? Virtual Private Network?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

Might be a VPN but I'm pretty sure he said VPS but either way like I said he accesses it through Remote Desktop and it runs windows server 2012 and he has websites hosted on it. And that's what I would like to get

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You mean that you are looking for someone with a computer with windows server 2012 that will let you VPN into it for free.

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

Well no cus there is no way somebody is gonna let me do that lol

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

You say it's your mate. Can't you get more information from him? I don't think there is a free ride for what you want.

Posted 1 year ago

danbywinby

No cus my mate has his given to him by one of his mates and I don't remember saying anything bout free my mates said he pays £10 a month. I know I'm gonna have to pay for what I want and I'm happy to pay.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You can get a GoDaddy for $5.00US/mo. cheaper if you buy by year or multiple years.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!