The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Best SSD around?

(15 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by djhull3917
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 723 times

djhull3917

What sort of money will i have to spend?

How much memory can i buy?

Is A NAS slightly better?

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

What do you actually want to use it for? I think you are getting confused, they are three different things:

SSDs are usually installed as the main drive on a computer because they are a lot faster than traditional harddrives - they tend not to be large as the idea is that they handle the operating system and other, traditional, drives store the data.

When you talk about 'memory' do you mean RAM, the memory used during operation of the computer? - nothing is actually stored on this as it is 'emptied' when the computer is turned off.

NAS (network attached storage) are purely for data storage usually on multiple drives within a case, connected to a network and shared by each computer.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

What sort of money will i have to spend? Aproximately $.75 to $1US per GB.

How much memory can i buy? Memory is different than SSD or HDD and depends on your motherboard.

Is A NAS slightly better? A NAS and an SSD are two different things. NAS (Network Attached Storage) is used for large storage for many computers on a network while an SSD is used for rapid Operating System response in a single computer.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

I would recommend a Samsung 830, Crucial M4 or an Intel. They have proven to be very good. In terms of size it depends. For the OS only on a desktop, 60 to 120GB are OK. For a laptop I would go for 240GB because you cannot place the user data on a HDD. Prices start at $60 (on sale). Check often on Newegg.com.

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

I can tell you that you will be pleased, no matter which SSD you end up getting. It truly speeds up almost every operation, from start-up to shut down, and especially when doing a virus scan. I am spoiled now!

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

I just recently purchased two OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G Vertex 3 Solid State Drive - 120GB, 2.5", SATA III at what I consider the bargain price of 69.99USD.

I plan on replacing a 60GB SSD and keep one for future use.

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

From reading reviews, etc. it appears Samsung, Crucial, and Intel have the best track records. It also appears the larger the SSDs, the faster they are. You want to get one that is large enough to hold your OS and programs with a cushion to allow them to operate in. When I build my Win 7 desktop, I won't consider anything smaller than 120 GB even though I'll probably use only half or less of it.

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

As much as possible when installing new programs I try to install them on non-OS hard drives, leaving the SSD with more free space. I too purchased the OCZ drive (which Xhi mentioned above) in September for this Win8 Release Preview desktop, I have not had a single problem with it. They even sent me a $10 reward/rebate card when promised.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

@LadyFitzgerald, It is true that larger SSDs are somewhat faster in data transfer. But that is mostely at large blocksizes that the OS does not use. For the OS it is mostly 4K blocksizes. The performance kick of a SSD comes from the extremely fast access times. There is really no need to get all excited about the transfer rates.

Now that applies for OS operations. If and when we'll use the SSDs for storing large amounts of data in large blocks, the story will change. But for now those large SSDs (512GB or 1TB) are still too expensive for that purpose.

@Fhirkin9, That is not such a good idea. You lose one of the main advantages of a SSD which is fast program access.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

http://thessdreview.com/category/our-reviews/

Posted 2 years ago

djhull3917

kk thnx guys ! :D

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Rick, which SSD model do you actually prefer ??

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

I'm in the process of procuring some new larger capacity SSDs.

What I'm going to do is Compare Performance Specifications of well known brands.

Then I'll try to find professional non-paid reviews with bench marks for the SSDs.

After I make a decision on what to buy based on Technical Facts, I'll post an Answer.

Right now I use Vertex 4s and M4s but they are about a couple years old now and Newer Technology SSDs have come into the market.

As most folks know, I base all my hardware decisions on Technical Specifications and Top Performance so it takes awhile to do all the necessary research for giving my current opinions.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

OK, understand. I am sure you will share your findings with us - right.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

djhull3917, what OS are you using ?

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.