SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Best Software for Making Greeting Cards?

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 3363 times

The Geek

I'm planning on making some greeting cards for the holidays, and I've never actually done this before. ScottW suggested that I ask all of you for suggestions, so here we are =)

I specifically need to be able to use my own custom image on the front and preferably on the inside as well. I wouldn't really need any pre-made templates.

Also, I don't mind paying for a piece of software, so non-free suggestions are fine.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

this will sound like a rig but a few years ago i used paint.net and a dvd jewel case creator program. (i forgot which one) i came up with some pretty cool cards for almost anything. but i'm sure theres a good program, maybe lifehackers would know, they seem to know a lot of software

Posted 5 years ago

randomaccess

I've found these free programs from Serif Software to be easy to use and have many features.
For cards you might try PagePlus - its fairly close to Microsoft Publisher.

Free Serif Software

Serif offers free versions of their programs hoping you'll buy the upgrade.
They don't say they run on Vista, though the PhotoPlus I have runs fine for me on Vista.

If you want something with a little more ooomph, try Scribus, the open source desktop publishing program.

Scribus

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames

Paintshop Pro!!!
Probably way beyond what you have in mind ... LOL.
But it's my absolute favorite - you can do anything: make a template so it will print foldable cards, give it a frame with a Xmas theme, use tubes to add Xmas elements etc. etc.

Here's the card I made with it last year (from I photo I took on the one day of frost we actually had that year)

This was the original photo I started with ;)

Have fun!
Sarah.

(and I have loads of Xmas tubes to share ;-D)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.