The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Best OS for my advanced netbook

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jagannath
  • Latest reply from doctordeere
  • Topic Viewed 5145 times

LadyFitzgerald

The large field of suddenly unprotected computers is going to be mighty tempting. There are a lot of small businesses, in addition to many individual users, still using XP. Many, if not most, are unaware that XP is about to lose support and what that means. They will be ripe for having their bank accounts accessed, becoming spam bots, etc.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I think you are right. The main problem will be phishing. Some people will get rich and others will get poorer. But those hard core XP fans will have to learn the lesson.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I agree with LadyFitzgerald, small business that doesn't update will have a problem. There maybe, if you want to keep your system, someone that would still offer support for a price. If it doesn't cost more that updating the system.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I still run MSdos on one of my laptops. Never had a nasty on that !

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

In the days of Floppy Disks, was not uncommon to have whole office down because of "sneaker net" transfers between DOS machines.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Are we talking about small businesses using XP OS to run their operations... or a lone individual who simply wants to continue using his netbook to view videos -- and perhaps do a few other things? Video formats don't change that frequently.

XP obviously won't be everyone's choice of OS anymore. But for now, it can still do a lot -- particularly if one can get it for cheap.

We really are a "throw away" society, aren't we?

Anyway, looks like OP himself has moved on??

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Actually still on topic here because OP is looking to speed up a computer with an OS change. So, the discussion of operating systems does come into play. Just watching videos is one thing but if you have personal information that can be compromised that can be a disaster. Use your old system. Play downloaded videos, old games, look at saved pictures just don't use it on the net.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

As has been stated, his machine just does not have the oompth, to play those videos. Nothing to do with OS, or other software.

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

Thank you all for your help, many everyone went off-topic :P, i'll give windows 8 a try or upgrade my system :)

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

Although it won't help with your video playback issues, a good alternative OS for netbooks, IMHO, is Zorin 6.1 Lite. Based on Lubuntu, the UI is designed to be familiar to those who are comfortable with WinXP and/or Win7. I run it on a seven year old Pentium M 1.6G HP DV4000 laptop and it does pretty dang well, far less lag than XP on the same machine ever was.

http://zorin-os.com/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.