How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Best OS for my advanced netbook

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jagannath
  • Latest reply from doctordeere
  • Topic Viewed 5145 times

jagannath

hello,
I have a Acer Aspire One 725 with AMD C-60, 2GB Ram, ATi Radeon HD 6290(256mb dedicated) and 11.6" screen(1366x768). i called it a advanced notebook becasue of the specs. it came with original MS Windows 7 HP x64. Everything is good, but video playback is slow. a 720P has lag and 1080P, forget about it. Even browsing with chrome sometimes is pain.Install ubuntu 11.4 but it was very slow. (ran it even in 2D mode)
Just wanted to know if there is a good OS that is capable of running full HD videos and do other basic stuff at a better speed. what about Chrome OS?

Thanks in Advance!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Your RAM is a bit on the low side. And your CPU definitely so.

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

but when i check task manager, VLC takes 78mb for 720P but CPU usage is on 100% and what about windows 8 upgrade? will it speed up things?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

I edited my last post.

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

i know, but that doesnt answer my question. :( or is there a better software for video playback?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

There are alternatives that are quite good. But even they can't handle 720P files on this laptop (CPU 1.6 dual core)

Posted 1 year ago

jagannath

oh sad :(
what are the good OS alternatives? other than ubuntu?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

I only use Vista, so couldn't comment on that.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Win XP. That was what Microsoft pushed out about three or so years ago -- well after MS was already selling Win 7 -- because netbooks couldn't handle Win 7 well -- and MS needed something to quash Linux.

I used to have an Acer netbook -- with weak Atom chip and all -- running Win XP and it worked well for internet browsing and video. Just don't open too many apps at once.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

As far as I've tested, Windows 8 works faster than Windows 7 on my 3-years-old HP Mini 210 with Intel Atom, Intel HD Graphics and 1 GB RAM. But with 1024x600 resolution, I have no "Metro" apps, only the Start Screen. Not that I like Windows 8, I actually prefer Windows 7.

Ubuntu 12.04 works ok too, but you may have a lot of initial trouble because of your ATI graphics card, while Intel HD graphics work fine with Ubuntu. Proprietary graphics drivers are not installed by default on Ubuntu, look for "Additional Drivers" on the dash after install, or check ATI webpage for drivers, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or 12.10 it's worth a try.

Definitely NOT Windows XP, it lacks features that were added for Windows 7 that were specific for netbooks, and it is an 11 years old operating system, with support for it ending on April 8, 2014.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

XP would be a waste of time and money now since its end of life is 04/08/2014 and probably wouldn't help much, if any (assuming you could even get XP drivers for it). Other than a Linux OS, the one you have already is as good as you will ever get on that machine. If the machine will take it, replacing the RAM with 4GB (merely adding 2GB to what you have already is a bad idea) will be about the best you can do to speed up the video, assuming the problem is with the hardware. Based on my personal experience, anything from Acer is garbage although there are those who have had better luck than me.

For playing video, you might try the VLC player. Face it, though, netbooks were never intended to be good video machines.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I think any change of OS will give you only marginal improvements. Your hardware is what it is and any OS will have to work within it's confines. If you really want more muscle, you'll need a different PC.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

And there I think you have it.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Well... like I said, I had good luck (experience) with my Acer running on XP and OP's should be even better with his "advanced" model. One can shop around and sometimes get excellent deals on Win XP on Ebay and similar.

Who cares if Win XP lacks features added on Win 7 -- if one just wants to play video, surf the web, and maybe edit some office type files? And who cares if support ends on 2014? Just make sure to add third-party firewall and antimalware, keep those up to date, and use common sense when surfing and emailing.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money (or time) on it -- but one doesn't need to.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I would argue that XP is not the solution. Past experience has shown that XP is no faster than Win7 and probably slower than Win8. Plus there is the added risk that the OP may not find XP drivers for his system.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Aspire One A0725 model Netbook Supports Windows 7 & 8 ONLY.

NO XP machine device drivers available.

This should Solve Topic.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

@ReadandShare "And who cares if support ends on 2014?" - Everyone using Windows XP should care. I don't know about others, but me myself, I won't troubleshot any Windows XP machine from that day on.

@whs "I think any change of OS will give you only marginal improvements." - Nice point, totally agree with you.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

If you think a firewall, third party or otherwise, and anti-malware programs are going to help you after XP's end of life, you are going to be in for a rude surprise. I seriously doubt anyone is going to be writing new malware definitions for very long after EOL, if at all.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

LF, that's a good point.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Yes, but on the other hand, what self-respecting hacker would continue to write virus and malware for an out of date system. Contrary to our own self-inflated opinion of our importance in the computer world they really aren't after us, but the big boys. We are just collateral damage.

The real problem is that the latest software that one will want to use will not work on an old unsupported OS.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.