How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Best motherboard to buy?

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by georgelaljohn
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 3095 times

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

I would like to know which is the best motherboard to buy in a range of 50-60$ range for a core 2 duo processor and sata hard disk and a graphic card slot. and RAM ddr2 upto 4GB. Kindly tell me the brands as well as the models.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

What processor are you using.. and is it a 65nm or 45nm CPU ?

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

45nm

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

There's not a whole lot of boards in that price range... the problem is that you will likely need at least a P35 chip on the board to be able to handle the 45nm processor.

You should check the manufacturer's information for the boards to make sure they do support that chip.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I should say, our forum member ScottW has a lot of knowledge on configurations, you might want to wait until he's followed up.

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

thanks GEEK!!

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Are you talking to me? Oh yeah, it's me alright. I don't think I have a lot of knowledge on motherboard configs. I do know that there are a ton of different boards out there -- all manner of different flavor of chipsets and features. It seems as if all of the big motherboard makers have a vast selection of boards and it's very confusing.

The Geek has the right idea, though. Decide on what constraints are placed on the motherboard by the parts that you want to put in it. For a 45 nm Intel Core2 CPU, you do need at least a P35 chipset, but not every board with a P35 can support every 45 nm chip. If you want SLI, that puts another constraint on the motherboard and you will probably need an nForce chipset. And so on.

My advice would be to do research at Tom's Hardware on different boards with the chipset that you think you'll need. Typically, they have a roundup of several different boards with the same chips and compare the features. I would also suggest that you stick with the major brand names. I like Asus and I've heard good things about Gigabyte. I know the names MSI, DFI, Biostar, Abit, and so on, but I have no idea how good they are. Finally, check the retailers. Newegg has a long list of boards at varying prices and includes user reviews. Seeing the comments of others can help you decide what's right for you.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Not all of the P35 boards can support 45nm? That's interesting... I thought they all could. Like ScottW, I'm also a fan of Asus, and many of my friends use Gigabyte.

When it comes right down to it, the motherboard is an important component... I'd spend an extra $20-40 on it to get a good one.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

http://anandtech.com/mb/showdo.....38&p=1

To quote: "The recently released Intel P35, P31, G31, G33, G35, and X38 chipsets have native support for the 45nm processors. However, even though these chipsets fully support Wolfdale and Yorkfield, the motherboards based on these chipsets could require something as simple as a BIOS update, or - in the worst cases - a new board revision."

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!