The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Best method to uninstall factory software (bloatware) on NEW computer

(24 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Coffeegeek
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 11441 times

Coffeegeek

I've received a new HP desktop (HP Pavilion Phoenix Special Edition a6655f) computer and want to find out the best method of finding and completely uninstalling the software that's factory installed which is not needed (basically bloating the system). My goal is to perform a thorough clean-up before I do anything. Getting ready to power it up in a few days, will make restore disc(s), etc. I'll install XP as well to perform dual boot. I did this a number of months ago on another computer, probably took to long road and hoping there's an easier way. If not, will refer back to notes and move forward. Perhaps Vista Home Premium with SP1 has some of the issues fixed. Thanks you....

Posted 5 years ago

LH

There is this,
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

But I always recommend to do a clean install, if possible

Posted 5 years ago

Coffeegeek

I'm a bit tempted to do a clean install of OS system (Vista Home Premium install along with XP dual boot) which I have not done before. If you are able to provide information, I'd appreciate it. I have a few ideas in mind (format and reinstall off disc what I want including drivers or ???). I'm wondering if drivers would be missing ...or can I just install off restore disc I make when I turn computer on for first time? Thank you for your time.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Before you start doing anything. Make sure you have ALL the XP drivers downloaded, and stored on CD or USB drive.
Without those, you are going nowhere.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

"Going nowhere" must equal "Vista only". Interesting. :)

Posted 5 years ago

Coffeegeek

Yes I've got all the XP drivers - assume they're all on my XP disc which I used previous dual boot. Yes, I do like XP still and can't imagine having just Vista but I can't rule out that possibility. No doubt there will be a day when XP will be outdated.

Posted 5 years ago

Coffeegeek

I've not downloaded all the drivers until I boot 'er up and see what I'm dealing with. A little project in front of me.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

Be sure you have SP1 for Vista. I don't know whether it is shipping with new computers or not. Windows Update will tell you. And SP2 is due soon. When we get that, Vista may make your XP boot unnecessary. Fron what I read about SP2, MS is promising it fixes a lot of the complaints so many people still have about Vista even after SP1. You will still need to remove the bloatware and crapware, though. Good luck. After a year, I am still dicovering an occasional rat when I am doing something else in computer maintenance.

Posted 5 years ago

coffeegeek54

Yes the new computer is Vista SP1. I would hope that MS get Vista more suitable so XP becomes history. Don't get me wrong, I really like XP, but such a hassle to sit here and think you have to do all this. Thanks for info...

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I always have to smile about those so called "bloatware" discussions. But what is the problem?
1. The manufacturers put a few trial versions of useful programs on your system. Those you can "try" - if you like them, buy them. If you don't like them, uninstall them. I recommend to use Revo for uninstalls rather than the Vista uninstaller.
2. The manufacturer installs programs that you might not want to use because they are cumbersome. Adobe and Quicktime come to mind. Those you just uninstall and pick a program of your choice such as Foxit and VLC.
3. Installing XP on a Vista machine is what I call bloat. If you follow the threads on any Forum you'll see that half of the reported problems stem from double booting with XP. BAD NEWS. If you really want to run XP, do it on your old XP system but do not clutter up your Vista system. There are few programs that do not run on Vista. And then you can always run them in Compatibility Mode.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

WHS, I agree with you on 2. and 3., but on #1, I think you might be being overly generous. Vista is a huge RAM hog as if is. Fortunately, hard drives have become so capacious that being a memory pig on the drive doesn't matter so much any more. And "few" is a somewhat relative term. There were at least six major bloats that I had to get rid of, as there was absolutely nothing there that I wanted. Software manufacturers pay their OS prostitute to dump that stuff on us, not telling us that not only are they cluttering the registry, but they are starting all manner of resource consuming services and processes whether or not you use the bloatware.

Coffeegeek, a google search on "remove crapware" will reveal several helpful insights.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Coffeegeek,

Dual Booting problems should demise very shortly.
Many of the new i7-X58 Builder Boards have Dual Raid Controllers on them which allow for Bootup from either controller so running (2) O/Ses will not be such a "hassle" as it has been in the past.
These new Builder Boards also have machine drivers for as for back as Win2K so the install tasks also will not be so daunting although the boards are very complex from the few I've started studying for my new Builds.
One will not see these types of machines offered as Pre-Builts from the OEMs I'm afraid.
Your choice will return to being a Build or Buy situation.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

Vista is more aggressive at caching things in the background, it ACTUALLY uses your RAM instead of letting it sit idle.Vista uses about half of whatever available RAM you have during idle periods.When a program requests for memory, Vista will give it what it needs at the expense of caching. Don't be worried that you're using up loads of RAM even when you're not running many applications.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Spacegold, On point #1 we had this discussion a few months ago. Just think of all the people that buy a PC for the first time. They don't even know how to use Google. Their little system is their whole IT world - I see all those little ladies at the local computer club that try to learn how to use the Enter key and similar easy functions that are routine for us. For them the trial programs serve a purpose. It shows them what's available. I myself purchased Office 2007 because I used the trial on my first Vista PC and I liked it. Now I am running it on 4 systems. And thru AOL (which I personally like) I got a super cheap DSL deal with Bell South. So there are advantages. And the little space it takes on the disk is negligable with todays systems that come with 250 to 500GB standard, plus it's a 2 minute affair to uninstall. The one thing though you want to watch out for is that those programs don't nest themselves in the Startups. That's why I inspect my Startups at leat once a week.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

Those little old ladies have my sincerest sympathies. In my view, Microsoft and Windows are sufficient justification for the multitude of older people who are intimidated to eschew computers entirely. Vista is for geeks, and the rest of us struggle mightily to try to keep up. It's fine until it does something you don't expect (which is all too often), and then the computer becomes a boat anchor unless there is a geek to turn to. I understand your point, but some of this crapware does not even bother with the startup folder. They start processes and services using system techniques, and the little old lady is not even going to know what a startup folder is if they do use it. I am sorry WHS, but I still see the bloatware as a much bigger liability than benefit. Anybody with an internet connection will soon enough find google and all the bloatware they want on their own, much of it far better than what MS packages with Vista.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I guess we can agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. I never deleted any of those programs. They don't bother me. The only thing I deleted were the games. I really have no need for those. If I want to play games, I do not sit at the computer - lol.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

One of the tragedies of the Redmond Mind Suck is that it leaves its victims with the mistaken belief that MS always acts with its users' best interests in mind. In fact, bloat space goes to the highest bidder. And unless MS starts paying a little more attention to us Joe Computers, Windows 7 snd beyond will have little in the way of functional improvement, becoming more and more just vehicles for big software companies to contaminate users' computer experience. I think bloatware may have contributed considerably to big users' lack of enthusiasm for Vista. If they wanted anything it was a more secure version of XP and 2000 as a clean operating system. Redmond's answer was Vista, bloat and all. The proper way for MS to handle bloatware might be to require EOM's to include an installation disk for every vendor who paid them $50 million. But then, who would need MS in that loop? Better to trick unsuspecting users.

I have the greatest respect and admiration for anyone who can understand and manipulate Windows as you and others here can, WHS, but on this issue we will definitely agree to disagree. :)

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I don't agree that "Vista is for geeks". I have (elderly) friends and relatives who run it straight out of the box. They have no problems because they don't mess with it. And messing with it is no problem either, as long as you know what you are doing. Thats the geeky part I suppose.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

And all of your friends have you to turn to.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Vista does (NOT) pass the Grand Parent test and certainly any version of Linux does (NOT) either.
Even an Iphone can be pretty nasty to setup so where does this leave us ??
---------------
What appears to be is not,
and what is not appears to be;
To discern the difference,
That is the question.
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.