How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

best free antivirus for Windows 8

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nharp0386
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 44773 times

nharp0386
nharp0386

What's the best free antivirus program for Windows 8? It seems like Avira, avast!, AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials are the big ones. Avira wasn't fully compatible with Windows 8, and although an update was released earlier this month to improve this compatibility, I'm not sure if it's fully-compatible yet, but It seems to be picked as the best on a few articles I read. Some people complained of upgrade pop-ups and ads though, which I would definitely not want. avast! is what I used on my old laptop (Vista), and it seemed to work fine. AVG and MSE I've read mixed reviews about.

I have free trials of Norton Internet Security and Webroot SecureAnywhere; how does your suggested free program stack up to these?

Also, should I install additional malware protection, such as Spybot - Search & Destroy?

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

This is what I use for all my security needs

http://www.comodo.com/home/int.....curity.php
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

All free and have kept me safe for years, all work with Windows 8

It's not just about the Security you have installed, it's also about been careful about what you download and where you go on the Internet, common sense is another self made program I use, it's also free. :) :)

gedstar

Posted 1 year ago

nharp0386
nharp0386

Thanks, gedstar. I'm very careful with what I download and what sites I visit. :)

Should I keep Windows Defender enabled or disable it?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Windows Defender is the Windows 8 default anti virus (which is Microsoft Security Essentials based).
If you use another Av then WD will need to be disabled.

Posted 1 year ago

nharp0386
nharp0386

Is Windows Defender (in Windows 8) a good enough antivirus program, or should I download something else like avast! to use instead?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Stick with WD, it is fine.
Forget Avast and the likes.
Defender has many controls that you can manipulate, scan time, when, cpu control. And it does what it says on the box and is live.

Posted 1 year ago

nuclear

Be careful of avast antivirus it will cause the dreaded black screen that is plaguing many users out there.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

nuclear, Hi.

Clarification of that statement would be good; a source

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Agree with Mike, Stick with Defender.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

X3 for Defender. It's the Win 8 version of MSE (Micro$not Security Essentials). It's lightweight yet reasonably effective.

I would also like to see something to support the statement that Avast causes black screens. I used it for years until I switched to MSE last summer because it had become too top heavy with too many bells and whistles.

Posted 1 year ago

Carolinaeliz

I am using windows 8, My security softwares include Comodo Internet Security and super antispyware!

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Carolinaeliz, you are only allowed one account on HTG. You are also registered as Richardlevins

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=8

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

xJSLRx
xJSLRx

The best Anti-Virus solution out there is something many people seem to never be aware of.

It keeps your computer running fast and clean for years on end.
It keeps your personal information secure from malicious threats.
It keeps your system secure from corruption.

It's common sense, 2013.

Posted 1 year ago

Scott
Scott

As mentioned above, for Win 8, Defender is the best AV.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!