The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Best Ereader

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dswapp
  • Latest reply from Katy
  • Topic Viewed 563 times

dswapp

I have decided to buy an E-reader, not a tablet necessarily, just something to down load books or movies. I don't like the nook, kindle or others that only let you download specific apps and stuff from its publisher. I want one that I can download apps from any ereader and download any books or movies. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate your input

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

I don't have one but, have a look here.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-ebook-readers/

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

E-book readers are unable to show movies; that will take a tablet. Getting a generic e-book reader will shut you out from the most popular e-book sources, such as Barnes & Noble and Amazon's Kindle books due to the DRM (to oversimplify it, a fancy term for copy protection). A tablet, on the other hand, is able to run apps that will allow them to read proprietary e-books, such as Kindle books as well as non-protected e-books.

You can get more information from these forums.

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere

"E-book readers are unable to show movies"

Don't let my Nook hear you say that. Not only is it able, it handles the task quite well. So will the Kindle Fires.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Your Nook and the Kindle Fires are actually scaled down tablets that are pretty much locked into the seller's walled garden.

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere

Walled garden? Most Nooks, yes. Mine, no. I'm overclocked to 1.1ghz running full blown Jelly Bean.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

The only advantage you get in buying a true e-reader is (1) battery life and (2) the ability to read in bright sunlight. If neither of these issues are important to you then get a tablet and download separate apps for each type of ebook.

Posted 1 year ago

Katy

I've got a Nexus 7 (tablet) and highly recommend it, tho the battery life could be better. It does have the proprietary Google Play, but I rarely use that, I primarily use the N7 for borrowing books from library and reading, using it as a gps when I'm going somewhere new, flying, sometimes music, etc. I don't have a smart phone, and it can take the place of most every fx you'd find on one.

From what I can tell, you can get an app to read any type of ebook on most of the different devices.

A couple of years ago I had a early version of the Pandigital Novel e-reader that I really liked; it was almost as good as the N7. The one thing it lacked was a camera and being able to download library books directly from the net, although maybe a more knowledgeable person could figure that out. Sad to say, I dropped it, which eventually killed it. The N7 is tougher :-)

Before I chose the Novel, I bought/tried and returned a number of different makes. Takes time but that's the best way to find one you like.

Posted 1 year ago

Katy

One thing I forgot to mention about the N7, like many other devices, the instructions are abysmal. If you've used a smart phone, you might be able to figure things out without much trouble. But I don't, so it took me quite a while to get used to it and access some of the functions. However, I did have experience with another e-reader. If you haven't used either, get an experienced friend to show you things.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.