How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

best browser for Windows 8?

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nharp0386
  • Latest reply from noone
  • Topic Viewed 17009 times

nharp0386
nharp0386

I just got a new Windows 8 laptop and am wondering what the best browser for me would be. Up until a few years ago, I always used Internet Explorer, until a friend convinced me to try Firefox, saying that it was more secure, could do way more thanks to add-ons, and was just overall better. I really liked Firefox and have used it ever since. I've also used Chrome a bit, and like it, but not as much as Firefox.

Firefox:

I've read that Firefox has some bugs when run on Windows 8, which really discourages me from running it. There is a "Metro Preview" version currently available for download, but it is also quite buggy, is touch-first, is an overhaul from previous versions of Firefox, and lacks both add-ons and Flash. Firefox version 18 is scheduled to be released in the second week of January, and whether or not it includes a stable metro version or has a desktop version that is fully-compatible with Windows 8, I need something to use in the meantime.

Chrome:

I know that Chrome has a metro version, but I'm not too crazy about metro apps so far though (lots of differences from the desktop apps that I am so used to, such as dragging to the bottom to close instead of clicking "X"). I've seen many reports of issues with the desktop version on Windows 8. Chrome received the highest overall score out of these 3 and Opera here.

Internet Explorer:

I've read that IE has been vastly improved in Windows 8. The metro version seems disorienting to me (it's so different than the browsers I'm used to), and I particularly dislike how the old "Favorites" has been replaced by "Pinned." I know that there is also a desktop version (although I don't like the address bar being on the same "line" as the tabs). Multiple reviews have picked it as the best Windows 8 browser. According to this, it is the most secure, and according to this, it is the fastest.

I'm thinking I'll go with the metro version of Chrome or the desktop version of IE, but I'm not sure which.

What do you suggest for me? I'm on a regular laptop, so something that is touch-first is probably not best for me.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

I am running, in addition to IE10, Firefox 17.0.1 (with a ton of add-ons) and have found there to be no problems at all since I did a clean install of Win8 Pro on its day of retail release (10/26/12). I do not use it on the Metro side. I do not use IE10 much on the metro side either!

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

I use Firefox myself without any issue, never use the Metro side either, a lot of people use Comodo Dragon, based on Chrome but much safer.

http://www.comodo.com/home/bro.....rowser.php

Posted 1 year ago

snooker
snooker

Hi ... I too am using Firefox 17.0.1 without any problems , though I found version 16 with slowness but its ok now with 17.0.1

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I am using the same set of browsers as I used in Windows 7. Primarily Google Chrome, then Palemoon as the default browser, Firefox and IE10 are also on the task bar. I like Google chrome because of it's sync feature as I use several different computers and my Android tablet throughout the day and my bookmarks are always synced.

Posted 1 year ago

noone
noone

google chrome.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!