The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Beegoo.com

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by omega3
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 2447 times

omega3

Help me please, I am pulling my hair out. I want to remove this search engine from my browser which is chrome. Beegoo.com appears as my home page even though it is not set up to do so. Same problem with ie4 and firefox. I tried a search on my drive and in the registry to no avail. Could this be spyware ? I have run superantispyware and mse but they found nothing.

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Sounds like your browsers have had their address (for home page) lines hijacked. First, look in your Programs & Features for a 'Beegoo.com' program. If not there, you should uninstall/reinstall Chrome to get it back to normal. But it sounds like an infection if all your browsers got it at the same time. Do you remember where you were before it happened (on the net, I mean)? Have you tried MBAM? Did you say, IE4?

Posted 4 years ago

omega3

Yes tried MBAM and Spyzooka as well. Checked programs and features. Removed Chrome and reinstalled. No Joy. I cannot remember when it first started. I seem to remember there is an hosts file somewhere that can get changed by spyware, will check this.

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

info,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....osts-file/

Posted 4 years ago

omega3

Just checked the Hosts file and it looks correct.

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Try this and examine carefully for anything unexpected,
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....63902.aspx

Posted 4 years ago

omega3

Had a look through all tabs and did a seach for beegoo and google and everything looks ok. When I fire up chrome it shows google.co.uk for a second or so then changes to beegoo.com. I am at a loss :o(

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Have a look through all your appdata folders.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

'Googled' Browser Hijacker removal' and got many hits, including Microsoft's Malicious Removal Tool. Good luck with all that you try, cause you got a bug, alright, omega3!

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Another invaluable tool,
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html

Posted 4 years ago

omega3

Finaly sorted but not sure what exactly fixed it. I had a look at the name of the home page after trying lots of progs and deleting stuff that I thought was not needed, and discovered what ever had caused the problem had renamed my home page from google.co.uk to ggogle.co.uk.

mike

Posted 4 years ago

omega3

Being a curious sort I just went into my browser and typed into the address bar ggogle.co.uk and guess what. up came beegoo.co.uk !!!

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Now that is interesting! And very odd, just did that and beegoo came up. Registered in uk since 2002 according to whois and tested as safe according to siteadvisor. Glad you got it sorted though.

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.