How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Battery Life

(3 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Eternity
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 2793 times

Eternity
Eternity

I have an Acer 5610 Laptop. It has a battery life of about two hours right now. I would like to increase this battery life to at least 6 hours, but I know nothing about laptop batteries, so I don't know how to do this! What type of battery should I buy? Can I install it myself or should I bring in my laptop to Best Buy or something?

Any help would be great, because I know nothing about this subject! :)

Thank you so much!

Michael

Posted 7 years ago

taybay
taybay

Lithium Ion batteries are good. You don't need anyone to install them, they just pop right out. Just make sure you get one that fits. Also, if you want to maintain your battery, Lifehacker has a good article about it: http://lifehacker.com/software.....276348.php

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

2 things Eternity-

1- open control panel>power options. From here you will find numerous battery schemes with varying battery expectancy.
Power saver is the setting commonly used to extend single charge battery life. Read the other options too. Hibernation/Sleep mode will also extend the charge.

2-Check Acer to see if you have the longest lasting battery compatible with your system

Obviously, how you use your system will certainly determine how long the battery lasts before a recharge is necessary. If you play games and watch DVDs, expect fewer hours in-between charges.

My experience with Vista is this; when not in use, simply close the cover to start hibernation, little power is consumed and battery life extended.

From 'Windows Help', the following:

Power plans: frequently asked questions
A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy, maximize system performance, or achieve a balance between the two.

You can change settings for any of your power plans, including the three default plans—Balanced, Power saver, and High performance. The default plans meet most people's computing needs. If these plans don't suit your needs, you can easily create your own plan by using one of the default plans as a starting point.

What is the difference between a power plan and a power scheme?
There is no difference. In earlier versions of Windows, power plans were called power schemes.

Which power plans are available?
Windows provides the following default plans to help you manage your computer's power:

Balanced. Offers full performance when you need it and saves power during periods of inactivity.

Power saver. Saves power by reducing system performance. This plan can help mobile PC users get the most from a single battery charge.

High performance. Maximizes system performance and responsiveness. Mobile PC users may notice that their battery doesn't last as long when using this plan.

The computer manufacturer may provide additional power plans.

To see or change the power settings for any of these plans, see Change power management settings.

How can I use a different power plan?
Open the battery meter, located in the notification area on the taskbar. Click the battery icon, and then select one of the three power plans that appear on the battery meter:

Balanced. Balances energy conservation with performance

Power saver. Conserves energy

High performance. Maximizes system performance

The computer manufacturer may provide additional plans and may even customize the battery meter.

To select a power plan in Power Options in Control Panel
In the notification area of the taskbar, click the battery icon, and then click More power options.

On the Select a power plan page, select a power plan.

Some of the custom plans from the computer manufacturer may also appear by default on the battery meter on a mobile PC, or as one of the preferred plans on a desktop computer.

What kind of settings can I change in a power plan?
As long as there are no restrictions imposed by Group Policy or access control lists (ACLs), you can change the settings for all of your power plans, including the three default plans (Balanced, Power saver, and High performance), plans provided by the computer manufacturer, and any plans that you create for your own purposes.

Depending on your user rights and your computer's hardware configuration, you can do the following:

Help secure your computer by requiring a password to unlock the computer when it wakes from sleep.

Set your computer to go to sleep after a specified period of inactivity. For more information, see Turn off a computer: frequently asked questions.

Choose what your computer does when you press the hardware power and sleep buttons or, with a mobile PC, when you close the lid. For example, when you press the power button, the computer can either do nothing or it can shut down. If the computer supports sleep and hibernate, pressing the power button can also put the computer into one of these power-saving states.

Adjust the brightness of your display.

Choose when to turn off the display during periods of inactivity.

Can my computer support any power plan or power management setting?
Not necessarily. Because hardware configurations vary on different computers, your computer may not support some of the power management settings that are available with this version of Windows. Windows automatically identifies the hardware configuration of your computer and makes available only the settings that you can change.

To learn more about your computer's hardware configuration, check the documentation that came with the computer or go to the manufacturer’s website.

How can I create a power plan?
To create a power plan
Click to open Power Options.

On the Select a power plan page, in the task pane, click Create a plan.

On the Create a power plan page, select the plan that is closest to the type of plan that you want to create.

For example, if you want the plan to conserve energy, select the Power saver plan.

In the Plan name box, type a name for the plan, and then click Next.

On the Change settings for the plan page, select the display and sleep settings that you want the computer to use when it's running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click Create.

If you are using a mobile PC, your plan appears under Plans shown on the battery meter. If you are using a desktop computer, your plan appears under Preferred plans. The default plan that you based your plan on now appears under Additional plans.

To customize the plan that you just created, click Change plan settings under the plan.

On the Change settings for the plan page, choose the display and sleep settings that you want your computer to use, or click Change advanced power settings to change additional settings.

Make sure that the power plan that you want the computer to use is selected.

Why can't I delete a power plan?
You may not have permission to delete it.

You may also be trying to delete one of the default plans—Balanced, Power saver, or High performance—or the plan that you're currently using (the active plan). The only power plans that you can delete are the plans that you create and any additional plans that are provided by the computer manufacturer.

Why can't I change power settings?
If your computer is part of a network at an organization—such as a school, government agency, or business—your organization's system administrator might have disabled or even removed certain settings by using Group Policy. Group Policy is a feature of Windows that system administrators can use to manage users' access to certain features in Windows.

If you think that Group Policy is preventing you from changing a setting that you need to access, contact your system administrator.

Another possibility is that you may not have the required user rights to change power settings because your system administrator has changed the permissions that are associated with these settings.

Note
If you're logged on to a computer over a remote network connection (for example, using Remote Desktop Connection), you must have administrator-level rights to change any of the computer's power settings.

I'm running Windows Aero on a mobile PC and can't consistently get Aero glass. Is there anything I can do?
Yes. If you are running the Power saver plan, Windows sometimes turns off transparency automatically. If you don't want this to happen, you can switch to the Balanced power plan. To change an existing power plan:

In the notification area of the taskbar, click the battery icon, and then click More power options.

On the Select a power plan page, select Balanced from the list of power plans.

See Also
Change, create, or delete a power plan (scheme)
What's new in managing power settings

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.