The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Batten down the hatches Johnny !

(81 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 2378 times

warlock

Good luck to those in the path of the UK. storm is still raining here. Has not stopped since Saturday.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual

not so good for us here.
still without power and internet obviously. first day back at work since the storm and theres power and internet here but no telling yet when will be restored at home.
more and more are getting services turned back on or at least power.
my car needs a new windshield too. trees and power lines all over the place. cars that have caught fire. people fighting. shortage of fuel.
people down south jersey got hit really bad though. makes things up here look like nothing. thoughts and prayers to those in those areas that have lost so much.
later guys.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

http://www.chicagotribune.com/.....3050.story This is ridiculous. All the public servants that have worked through the storm and aftermath now have to take care of a marathon.

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

Mayor Bloomberg says NYC Marathon is cancelled.

@ Johnny Hang tough, we're all rooting for you and yours.
Hopefully there will be near normalcy within a week or two.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@Scott, I see the update came out in the link I posted above also. Glad he came to his senses.

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

Silly scheduling it two days before you have to mobilize the whole
city for Election Day anyway. But the Marathon was always one of
my favorite days of the year, people coming together, getting along,
mostly without stabbing or shooting first. "Wassamattafoyou?"

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

Via

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Morning Scott an all.....Been away from Devon, so missed one load of battering winds,more to come.....The trouble is we are such a small island and the ground here in the South West is already saturated, so I feel we are in for a very damaging winter, we will see much more of our coastline fall back into the sea.

Those Bikes will certainly need drying and re oiling right away, if they want an even a half decent ride in the future.

Watching the proceedings on the recovery, but will take a lot of patience and time.

Be safe (@Scott how is the Neck???? any improvement??)

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

Hi Kate. My neck is coming along and I finally have an appointment for an epidural.
I kind of get the feeling it would have been sooner if I had been in labor ? ;)

Best to you in the SW. With bizarre weather becoming the norm, not the exception,
I have a new found respect for folks that perennially live in harm's way. Unreal.

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

How one downtown subway station went from flooded to dry in four days:

Via http://www.zerohedge.com/news/.....dry-4-days

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

http://nymag.com/nymag/letters.....r-2012-11/

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

As reported in the Daily Mail

N York

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

My friends in Greenwich Village got their power back yesterday but many are still without.
The pressing issue now is there is a cold snap coming this week with the potential for snow
in certain spots. Kate, I should know better than to read the reader's comments after the
article. Have to shake my head when people write "typical NY'ers,they should stop complaining".
Probably ex-pats ;)

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

Sandy, one week later:

http://www.theatlantic.com/inf.....ll/100399/
via

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

So very sad to see so much devastation, it will be many months/years before some of those poor people,will be rehomed.

Thanks Scott for the pictures, I wonder how Howard is faring ????

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1

And i see the east coast is being hit by a noreaster storm this week.Adding insult to injury ! :(

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

From bad to worse. http://www.google.com/#q=norea.....38;bih=716

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Oh dear!!! Warlock, sure is bad,
Latest here

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

Kate, I remember visiting my folks in south Florida a couple of years after Hurricane Andrew ('92) blew through. It still, all those years later, looked like third world carnage. A few years ago, Hurricane Wilma ('05) caused over $20 billion in damage in a state that deals with disaster preparation annually. It takes time, and maybe folks in and around NYC are less than the patient type, but rebuild they will.

Just last year Hurricane Irene wrecked many of the same areas affected last week. Our little state was devastated (no pun intended, you saw the pics). Fast forward one year and we've made huge strides in restoring roads, bridges and lives to near normalcy.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Morning Scott.
Agree in time things will come back together,unfortunately, we live in a 'Gimme Gimme Now era' and 'blame those in charge'.
Still a very sad situation,especially at this time of year.

Thinking Daily of them all.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.