The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

base score

(36 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by loobi
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 7462 times

loobi

I have a base score on windows 7 of 3.1, how do i make it better and allow my computer run better

Posted 3 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Hi and welcome to HTG

Can you list all the Scores for us so we know what they are.

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

@ mfletch mines 3.2, it says mines good for gaming.. if thats anyhelp ? @ loobi mine was at 1 gig then it said...3.1 now i have 2 gig so going by that
you would have to beef your memeroy, and god knows what, it tests everything, graphics,mem,amongst others,whats your machine details?... hardware.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

The score is based on the LOWEST scoring item.

Here is mine :

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 7.4
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.4
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series 7.5
Gaming graphics 4091 MB Total available graphics memory 7.5
Primary hard disk 120GB Free (172GB Total) 5.9

Windows 7 Home Premium

Guess why my score is 5.9?

Guess what it might be if I put in an SSD drive for my system drive?

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

We need the test results so we can see what is related to the base score,

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

guy's i wont show you mine you will laugh,... especially well, both of you:(

Posted 3 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Don't be shy marks

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Mine says, "cannot be determined" (LOL) (LOL) :( :(

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

And besides, it doesn't mean much. It's how you configure, and run your system that counts.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

@LH, that number does mean something... just how much of W7 you can use or what performance you can expect. Yes, YMMV, and actual results do count, but at least one has a 'figure of merit' so to speak to talk about.

This is MS's 'help' on the subject :

====================
The base score represents the minimum performance of your system, based on the capabilities of different parts of your computer, including random access memory (RAM), central processing unit (CPU), hard disk, general graphics performance on the desktop, and 3‑D graphics capability.

Here are general descriptions of the experience you can expect from a computer that receives the following base scores:

A computer with a base score of 2.0 usually has sufficient performance to do general computing tasks, such as run office productivity programs and search the Internet. However, a computer with this base score is generally not powerful enough to run Aero, or the advanced multimedia experiences that are available with Windows 7.

A computer with a base score of 3.0 can run Aero and many features of Windows 7 at a basic level. Some of the Windows 7 advanced features might not have all of their functionality available. For example, a computer with a base score of 3.0 can display the Windows 7 theme at a resolution of 1280 × 1024, but might struggle to run the theme on multiple monitors. Or, it can play digital TV content but might struggle to play high-definition television (HDTV) content.

A computer with a base score of 4.0 or 5.0 can run new features of Windows 7, and it can support running multiple programs at the same time.

A computer with a base score of 6.0 or 7.0 has a faster hard disk, and can support high-end, graphics-intensive experiences, such as multiplayer and 3‑D gaming and recording and playback of HDTV content.

If a particular program or Windows 7 experience requires a higher score than your base score, you can upgrade your hardware to meet the necessary base score. If you install new hardware and want to see if your score has changed, click Re-run the assessment. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
================

What I find interesting is "If a particular program or Windows 7 experience requires a higher score than your base score, you can upgrade your hardware to meet the necessary base score.". Now I have not read many s/w boxes recently, but I never recall seeing any rating like this on boxes or web pages? Maybe something MS 'wished for' and never happened.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Irv. I have Vista running quite happily on a very old machine. 1.2GHz single core AMD. 640MB RAM, 10GB hard drive.
Scores mean nought.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I'll AGREE with LH on this one.

Much Depends on how a machine is configured.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Vista LH used a different algorithm. Actually, I recall 5.9 being the HIGHEST one could get.

Different for 32 and 64 bit version too...

Like I said, it is basically a figure of merit one could use to 'think' about how it would perform.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

With enough money, any of us could Build a machine that could easily hit 7.9.

Unfortunately, us ole pensioners have limited funds so we "make do" with what we got. :) :)

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

alright guy,s heres mine it said 'your win,s exp, needs to be refreshed :

wow :) i dont play games, well chess.thats it.

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

@ rick,no news is good news...lol,lol (all the infections).. :):) you know i didn't mean that!:)

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Mark,

I got your news. :) ;)

Just haven't responded yet.

Thanks for the kind words.

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

ok,rick. im with you :) have you got a base score yet!:) irvS. is brill... mfletch's score is good as well,

Posted 3 years ago

vistual
vistual

i couldnt resist .........

(evil grin / sinister laugh) ....LOL
never mind that last rating date & time - it just hasnt caught up to the rest of the machine yet

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

LOL. Lowest subscore. They are all 5.9 :) (which one did it choose ?) I bet on RAM.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!