How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Bandwidth stealers

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by cas34
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 1738 times

cas34

Hi there,

I am curretly sharing a flat with 6 other people and we have wireless broadband. It is 8 meg connection so should be enough bandwidth for us all. The thing is it is currently running at the same speed as dial up around 60Kb/s which is ridiculously slow. I believe someone is downloading but no one is owning up to it. Is there anyway I can see where all the bandwidth is going as this is driving me insane. Thanks in advance.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

If you live in a flat, then there maybe also, many of your neighbors stealing your b/w. How secure are you ?

Posted 6 years ago

cas34

I am not sure about how secure the network is as this is the first time I have used WiFi. I am currently reading up on how to make sure the network is secure as I type.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

The only suggestion I can make, to make your system secure, is, don't use WiFi.
Can you not connect everything by wire ?

Posted 6 years ago

cas34

hi

I have made sure the network is secure now, so I am assuming that it is one of my flatemates who is downloading and using all the bandwidth. Unfortunately we cannot use cables as our house is very big and 7 people are connected. Is there anyway to monitor our bandwidth so I can see who is using all the bandwith?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

You can try using the Packet Sniffer Wireshark and see if any torrent traffic appears.
The program may or may not be able to see traffic from other computers depending on how the wireless router and your computer's network card works.
You can try it though. If you see any torrent traffic, it will list the IP Address of the computer sending/reciving the torrent traffic. If you have control of the wireless router (you own it not the ISP) you should be able to check the router status page to see the name of the computer that IP Address is assigned to.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.