Bad Bios checksum (How to Fix it) ???

(39 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by tech27
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 20879 times

tech27
tech27

So here's my problem guys...
Recently I did a clean install of windows XP on my PC, everything goes smooth and no errors. But after a day I use it and shut it down for an hour and when I return and turn my PC again this problem comes out... I have no idea why it happened, so if anyone knows how to fix this I will gladly appreciate it... Btw.. I have some experienced on PC troubleshooting but sad to say it is my first time to encounter this problem and I have no idea how to fix it.. So please I really need your help guys....

Posted 2 years ago

Sarris
Sarris

Causes of CMOS Checksum Bad Error

There are usually three main reasons that a CMOS Checksum Bad Error occurs. They include:

1. CMOS Battery may not be functioning properly. The battery life may have expired. (it's probably this)
2. The user or a virus may have updated the BIOS.
3. The computer may not have been shut down properly e.g. shutting off the computer’s main power without first shutting down the computer (MS Windows requires the computer to be shut down before the power is shut off).

This is from tech-faq.com

Also, please don't multiple post the same question. Thanks & good luck

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

First of all... Sorry for doing multiple post but I didn't meant to do that because every time I post it says "404 Not found"

hmmm... so what should I do first to solve this problem ????

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

BTW.. what does CMOS means ??? Sorry I had never encounter a bios problem before.....

Posted 2 years ago

semiretired
semiretired

Cmos equals continuous metal oxide semiconductor. It is the small disk battery found on your motherboard. It is usually a cr2032 that can be purchased at a walmart......etc. In a laptop, it could be sheathed in a holder of some type and be more expensive.

Posted 2 years ago

semiretired
semiretired

Well, now I see that "c" equals complimentary.

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

@Sarris
-I followed the step 1
1. CMOS Battery may not be functioning properly. The battery life may have expired. (it's probably this)
= but sad to say it doesn't fix the problem still there.... any alternatives ???
I really need help guys..

Posted 2 years ago

semiretired
semiretired

Did you install a new cmos?

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

hmmm... probably its not a 'CMOS" error.. its a Bad BIOS checksum error..

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

nope.... that is why I was puzzled why this happened i just did a clean install and everything was fine and after 1 day i still use it and after an hour when I turn my PC on this problem comes out.... I've been doing some reformat and clean install before and I never encounter this problem before its my 1st time to have this problem.. T_T

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

after reformatting(doing a clean Install of Windows XP) I did never configure or change anything on my BIOS set-up..

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

Hello ?????????? Anyone can help me here ???? I really need help guys.. please

Posted 2 years ago

dbarker
dbarker

What is the make and model of your computer.
Also, have you been able to get in to the BIOS setup?
If so, post a screen shot/picture.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

As dbarker suggested please post as much detail as requested.
If you did change the cmos battery and the problem is still there this suggests the bios chip.
Looking at the age of your machine pic above you might think is so old, is it worth repairing? In your location the chip may be difficult to obtain.
But it is important for the relevant details of the MB.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Why did you do a reinstall of XP?,
Was it because of this error you are now getting?

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

Just a clarification CMOS and cmos battery are not the same. CMOS is a circuitry design/chip while cmos battery (mostly CR2032 on computers) powers the cmos so that it can retain whatever data the cmos holds even when for example a PC (with the BIOS configuration) is turned off.

As to the OP's problem, maybe clearing cmos through a jumper on the motherboard might resolve the checksum error. If this doesn't help, maybe reprogramming the BIOS through BIOS update will do the trick.

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

@dbarker its kinda bit old PC with a P4VP-MX Asus motherborad.... but its fine After I did a clean install of Windows XP....

your question:
Also, have you been able to get in to the BIOS setup?
- yeah at first when this problem is not around but when this problem occurred I can't able to go to BIOS setup ..

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

@germ-x

- I did a clean install of WXP just because I wasn't use for a long time.... but when I turned it on no problems were found and after I reformat it and do a clean install it is still no errors and it goes smoothly but then the day after this problem comes out and I have no idea why this had happened.... just to clarify I did not reinstall WXP just because this problem occurred but because it wasn't use for a long time so I decided to reinstall the OS to get rid of all old files and as I said it goes great and then suddenly after a day this problem just pop out...

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

@G41M
- how can I do a BIOS update then ???? Should I use a USB or DVD or what ???

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

Check here for the update procedure - http://support.asus.com/Docume.....38;no=1704

Download the latest BIOS file (I would suggest not the beta) and BIOS updater from here http://support.asus.com/downlo.....XlhuhUUW38

Just a word of caution, be very careful. As this procedure, if not done right would render your pc inoperative, although very remote.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!