The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Backup problems

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jsgarza75
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 422 times

jsgarza75

I made a backup for my computer then updated my Windows Vista to Windows 7. I am trying to restore information and I keep getting a message saying there is no backup available. Is there anyway to recover that data?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

How did you make that 'backup'.

Posted 1 year ago

jsgarza75

I used the back up feature on windows vista

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Where did you save your backup set? You may have to redirect the recovery app to the correct drive / partition.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Did you check the partition/folder to which you backed up.

Posted 1 year ago

jsgarza75

I used an external hard drive to save my backup. It looks like a normal file- like the MY DOCUMENTS folder. I don't even know what a partition is. When I try to restore I can't see my hard drive.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Then just copy/paste the files from that hard drive.

Posted 1 year ago

jsgarza75

Is there a way to get program files? I have tax software and the files only open with that program. I have reinstalled the software but can't restore the information.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

They are just normal files. If you know the names of the files, you should be able to recover them.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

But, programs themselves must be reloaded from the installation media. There is no other way to do it.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

If you updated from Vista to Win7 everything should be as it was with Vista.
Worse case senerio recover your Vista image.
When you open your image with the backup software you should see all the folders / files. You should be able to restore to original location.
You might be running into a location issue between Vista and Win7 with certain Tax software.
I know one that in Vista files are stored in one loaction and in Win7 the default loaction is different.

Posted 1 year ago

jsgarza75

How do you 'recover your Vista image'?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You have to have an image in the first place. Did you ever image your Vista system ??

Posted 1 year ago

jsgarza75

Nope...

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

"I made a backup for my computer then updated my Windows Vista to Windows 7". Is this an image you made, please explain "BACKUP"

Posted 1 year ago

jsgarza75

This is what I did
1. Control Panel
2. System Maintenance
3. Backup & Restore
4. Set up Backup
5. Followed the wizard to create a backup file.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I believe (not 100% sure) you cannot recover a Vista backup with Windows 7. You can try to open the file and copy/paste your files. If it is a VHD, you can attach it in Disk Management > Action tab.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.