(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Rustyhatman
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 388 times

Rustyhatman

Hi all you clever people out there.

I am so into getting backed up.
At my age it happens all the time.
I just wish I could retrieve some of my own memories. (like my name and what I had for breakfast)

As you can gather, I’m a geriatric old fart whose old brain sponge is so full of irrelevant knowledge and memories that it does not absorb new concepts as quickly as it used to. (bring back the crystal set, I sort of understood that)
So I need to be spoon fed, one syllable at a time, with a small spoon.
I have also been told that I suffer from the IDtenT syndrome

I have an old desktop running XP, a new laptop (Santa was kind this year) running Win7 and a 1TB external hard drive.
What I have done is replicate everything in each location. ( that exercise gave me pains that my haemorrhoids could not even come close to matching.)

My problem now, is that I forget what I have added or altered and have to go through the entire drives of both computers and the EHD to keep them all singing from the same songbook.
I get tired even thinking about it.
What I need is a program that will for instance, compare all the files from my laptop to those on my EHD and then update them.
It must then be able to transfer those updates only to my desktop whenever it’s convenient for me to do so.

I have tried using “my recent documents” as a guide and transferring only the relevant data to my EHD, but it is still very time consuming and the danger there is in my own memory.
Is there not a program that will scan, compare and synchronize my files for me automatically when I attach my EHD to either computer?

I used a cross over cable to do the initial transfer from my desktop to my laptop when I first set it up and that was quick.
I was gobsmacked at how quick that worked.
Transferring from either PC to the EHD is like pouring ice cold treacle out of a bottle with a small nozzle by comparison.
Please tell me there is a SIMPLE solution to my problem and where to find it.

Thanking you all

Rusty

PS.
A freebie would be nice.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hi Rustyhatman. Have a read,
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=44

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

edmenje
edmenje

I haven't used it myself, but you might look into Microsoft's Sync Toy.
Perhaps someone with actual experience with it could add in some more info on this solution

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Sync Toy will do the job he wants to do. The interface is pretty straightforward and easy to understand and set up your "Sync Pairs." Have used it extensively in the past. Currently using rsync in Linux for back up of files.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Another vote for Microsoft SyncToy. Quick and easy to set up and use.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I did do a test on MS sychctoy. And it did seem to work ok.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

SyncToy works pretty well for just data backups. For whole system backups I use Macrium

Posted 1 year ago

Rustyhatman

Thank you so much for responding guys (and/or guy-esses)
Your quick response and advice is so-o-o-o-o-o-o very much appreciated.
I will definitely give it a try.

Hoo boy. - I am ever so chuffed
Move over Steve Jobs. - One G.O.F. coming through
Rusty

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Rustyhatman,

I just updated the link Lighthouse referred to and added Cobian Backup because this is my preferred sync and backup tool these days ;)
Haven't tried Synctoys yet, might give it a go too :D

Posted 1 year ago

Rustyhatman

Hi again.
I am sorry to report that Synctoy did not do it for me
It installed easily and appeared to be synchronizing the files between my laptop and my EHD but then it stopped responding and now my files are spread all over the place.
I have files in folders where they shouldn't be, duplicated files, strings of folders within other folders, files with altered characteristics that prevent me from accessing them.
My whole system on both drives is a total mess.

And this time I know it was not an IDtenT problem

So back to the drawing board we go

Thanks SarahJames I will give Cobian a try. Looks like you're a Linux fan. I am experimenting with Mint Maya as a dual boot on my desktop. Good fun so far.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Here's another option you could try

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!