How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Backing files X create an image::

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Thebeholder
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 326 times

Thebeholder

Hi everyone!

I hope all of you in the very best of health.

What difference is there between create backup files and create image.?

I heard that there are some programs, such as Coboian, so no, which only back up files.
However, I saw when I tried creating a backup files with Macrium that it is faster to image the partition instead of backing each file on it.
So, what is the benefit from backing up files as long as the image does faster the same purpose

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I image the data too. My data is in a seperate partition. But many people prefer to backup the data differently and if you do it right (e.g. with sync) it can be extremely fast.

But the time it takes to make an image does not really matter to me. I let it run in the background and do something else in the meantime. The main difference is space on the backup disk. With sync, you have only 1 copy. When you image the data, you have 1 copy per image - but that, of course, is a lot safer. If you keep several images (grandmother, mother, daughter), you always have a fallback in case 1 image is corrupted.

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

you said @(grandmother, mother, daughter)@, how can you have these relatives of an image as long as you always make a full separated image?
I don't think there is any relationship between them; otherwise if you have created a full image, then make differential, and so on)

@I let it run in the background and do something else in the meantime.@

I think that even if you have let it run in the background, the compure will be somehow frozen while doing something else in the meantime.

I don't think that Cobian is a sync program as long as it doesn't synchronise the backup created by it. Could you tell me any sync programs?

Posted 1 year ago

oliverpowell
oliverpowell

You should keep the created image at least 3 places like write over to CD DVD, copy to USB, cloud host it. This is to make sure that if one imaged copy become fails or damaged, you still have chance to get your data back from the other two available images. That is how these relatives (grandmother, mother, daughter) works.

Your system uses lot of resources to create image of any separate partition or entire drive, so there is high probability for system to become froze or inaccessible. However, if you want to use certain applications, make sure that they're use as minimal resources as possible.

You could use SyncBack or Crashplan as an alternative for Cobian.

Good Luck though!!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Thebeholder,

The terms Gardmother, Mother, Daughter was meant to say the image of e.g. today, the last one before that and then another one that is even older.

Of course you can work on the system whilst the image is running. I do that all the time since years. My systems never froze.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!