SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Back-up,Copying large amounts of data crashes W7??

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by ssc73
  • Latest reply from ssc73
  • Topic Viewed 1764 times

ssc73

I have tried several forms of troubleshooting-disabling aero, safe mode, robocopy, just about anything you can think of. The problem is, that running windows back-up or copying large folders to or from a and external usb hdd in Win7 grinds my system to a hault. Even if I end the taskmgr process and manage to shut down the copying process, my machine remains virtually frozen and usually requires a forced re-start. Any ideas? Even recently tried re-syncing my zune after a clean install(to try and fix the problem) caused this. In perf monitor, the process that uses up 90+ % or the cpu as the system starts to shut down and throughout is called "system interrupts" with no pid.

My copy is legal but other than language packs and defender, I am getting no updates. I had read that there were some unpublished updates lead that change the hardware abstraction layer from 16385 to 16399. The blue screen review program says that particular driver -hal.dll- is the cause of the problem. ANyone else having this problem? I have seen it in other forums, posted there, no answers yet. After the zune problem, It almost seems like a USB driver problem or chipset but I have the latest nforce(GeForce) dual drivers installed and nvidia assures me their product is not the issue-I know, big surprise.

Had no prob with this in vista, could copy many large folders at a time with no issue-6 or 7 windows b4 it affected performance. And the drives are all working fine on any other machine I try the same ops on though I haven't found another one with 7 on it to test. It happens after a clean install and before any AV products or updates are installed. I even bought a new 500gb WD passport just to see if it was all four of my old drives-same issue.

I know, I should have come here first. But any help anyone can offer would be great!

Any ideas?

Posted 4 years ago

mikisu
mikisu

"In perf monitor, the process that uses up 90+ % or the cpu as the system starts to shut down and throughout is called "system interrupts" with no pid."

Good clue!

Suggest you install Process Hacker HERE.

This is a super powerful task manager alternative which hopefully may pinpoint the problem area.

When the overload occurs right click on Process Hackers-"Interrupts"-Properties-General.

The problem area then should be pinpointed.

In my experience "interrupts" have been hardware related issues, such as drivers and sometimes very difficult to pin down, except by a process of elimination.

Are all your drivers up to date Win 7 compatible?

Just because some hardware/drivers worked in Vista doesnt of course indicate they will work in Win7.

Especially check if your audio drivers are OK and not causing incompatibilities with the graphics card.

Posted 4 years ago

ssc73

I will give that task manager tool a try. I believe, as you said, it is realted to my integrated nvidia Geforce 7150m/630n quanta motherboard/gpu. I have checked hp for drivers and theirs,as always, are out of date with those on nvidia's site. My audio drivers are up to date but HP won't provide any support whatsoever on 7 until Oct 22 despite the fact I have a legal copy from technet. And of course technet and msdn forward me back to HP.

It's a little tricky trying go find the specific nforce chipset driver that I have installed though I do believe it's the one on the HP site. Nvidia has no specific windows 7 drivers for my specific board/card but they suggested one, that according to their site, doesn't support my specific chipset though it is listed for the desktop version=7150m/nforcei for win7 64 bit. I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if that is something I can use though I'm not crossing my fingers. I'm also trying to find out if there is a newer bios release than the one listed on HP. Their's are so outdated, for ex, the latest chipset driver listed on HP is 13.11 from 2007 while nvidia is up to 15.37 released in may this year.

Thanks for the link. Will let you know how it turns out.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

mikisu, just a question on the side - if I may. How does Process Hacker compare to Process Explorer. I have never used the Hacker and wonder whether it would be worthwhile to install it.

Posted 4 years ago

mikisu
mikisu

whs,

Its more complete-for example also lists services and networks,plus other options,which may or may not be important.

In this case may be able to provide more detailed info. as regards the interrupt issue.

Also nicer GUI,but thats a matter of opinion.

Disadvantages are that its slower to load than Process Explorer and isn't portable.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks, I think I'll give it a try.

Posted 4 years ago

ssc73

Well, I crossed my fingers and installed the latest win7x64 chipset driver even though it was for the desktop version and didn't show my particular integrated card(laptop) was supported. But I ran a back-up and just for a check, copied a 20 gb folder and my cpu never went above 20% in the copy process and 40 in the back up. If anyone else with the same problem has a Nvidia Geforce/nforce integrated card, the driver I installed was from the nvidia sight driver #15.37 for win7x64. Hopefully problem solved.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.