How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Back-up Software.

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by StokesleyLad
  • Latest reply from StokesleyLad
  • Topic Viewed 491 times

StokesleyLad
StokesleyLad

Hi, I don't know if this is the correct Forum for this question but I feel sure some of your members will know the answer.
There are a number of Back-up programs that also have an 'Incremental Option' which I prefer to use. However are there any that will also REMOVE files from the earlier Backed-up Folder that have now been deleted in the Master Folder??
Thank you.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

I use this http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/
Not sure if it's what your looking for

Posted 1 year ago

StokesleyLad
StokesleyLad

Thank you Gedstar, I've had a look at this site and the images of the Interface. It certainly seems to do all I require and I've therefore downloaded a copy which I intend to install and try out.
Thank you for your time and prompt reply which I find to be typical of the high standard this Forum maintains.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

StokesleyLad, Gedstar's pointer was interesting for me.
I am just about to get a new machine and I just nicely tidied up my files, which by the way, are very mixed.
So will be using on the new one without hesitation.

Nice

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Your Welcome StokesleyLad and Mike

Been using it for sometime and have to say found it quite useful myself and it's free.

Ged :)

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

I installed and ran freefilessync and came up with nothing after I hit Sync, is that normal or an indication no files needed to be synced?

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Hi tsmith777

Have you read the help file? you should get Synchronization Complete after you run it. You need to have two folders with a identical names. I have a folder on my D drive called Sync folder and another on my external drive with the same name. I have all my documents and folders in the sync folder on the D drive and I sync this with the same folder on the external drive.
You need to select a Source folder and a Target folder in my case it would be D:\Sync Folder ------> F:\Sync Folder
In Synchronization Setting you need to select from the following options:
Automatic
Mirror
Update
Custom
A description of what these do is given in the settings dialog

After setting up the required options you need to select the Compare button on the left hand side and this will compare the two folders and inform you of any changes, after that you need to select the Synchronize button on the right hand side, this will then sync the folders and give you confirmation that the operation is complete.

Hope this helps

Ged

Posted 1 year ago

tsmith777

OK, Thanks I'll try it

Posted 1 year ago

StokesleyLad
StokesleyLad

Hi Gedstar, Thanks to you my problem is solved.It does all I require. I tested it out by preparing a Test Folder into which I copied 3 Folders each which contained sub-folders. I then copied that to my External Drive, thus having the 2 copies in sync.
I then added a further folder to the original Test Folder and than ran the Compare program and Auto Sync which resulted in the newly added folder now also being in the External drive copy. I repeated this exercise by removing (deleting) a folder from the original Test Folder and running the program once again resulted in the External drive folder also having had the folder deleted. While using only a small number of folders for the test I fully believe that it will work successfully with larger volumes and I've now adopted this program for all my future 'Sync requirements'.
Thanks once again.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!