The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - avg anti virus

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by 825yva
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 408 times

825yva

i am just wondering if the free avg anti virus is a good one to have, and if it is really safe. or if there is a better free one out there some place.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz

I personally prefer MSE over any other AV; MSE

Here's a similar thread with thorough answers that may help you understand a little more: BEST AV

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

AVG free is a Good Anti-virus and I used it and recommended it for years. However of late it has become too intrusive and bloated for my taste and I now use and recommend MSE as Compwiz posted above.

Posted 1 year ago

825yva

thank's compwiz. i have one more question,..im thinking of avast. they say that its free. but there is a version to buy. if i download the avast free will it expire in time or will it be completely free like the avg?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Avast is also a good one. Just be sure you install the free one and not the free trial. They do require you to re-register the free one each year and there are nag screens from time to time.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

We had a lot of problems with free AVG. MSE is better.

Posted 1 year ago

825yva

thanks xhi. that's the link i was looking for. tried the avast before,..but it was not the free one. and even just now i was on the wrong site. either im blind or avast hides the free version's link pretty well. now i know where to go.

Posted 1 year ago

825yva

i downloaded the free version of avast. it still says on the bottom protection will expire in 30 days.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Sounds like trail version, try here http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

Posted 1 year ago

825yva

i checked the version that i have and it match's what you have posted.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Did you uninstall the trial version first?
Try the Avast uninstaller then download the free version again.
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

silhouttejames

AVG anti virus is good undoubtedly but i think you shoud download the free version of Bit defender. this would also be a good option for your pc.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

silhouttejames, Bit Defender as anti virus is just not an option. It is overpriced and over bloated.
The 'free version' does nag.

Many of the so called free A/vs are limited in capability.

As pointed out above, AVG has become extremely bloated and slow and therefore lost it's place in the Av market.

Can we please stick with what we know please?

All my systems, including clients, run http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....s-download

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

825yva

thank's to everyone for your help. im going to use the Microsoft essentials.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

YEA!!!! Good decision.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.