The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Avast Software

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mrmontage
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 586 times

mrmontage

Is there any advantage in purchasing AVAST software even though I have another terrific virus/worm program? I am using the free version of AVAST with my other software.

PS: I have Zone Alarm Security software.

Posted 1 year ago

jmcguire

As a general rule, do not use two active anti-virus programs. If your other software is an active version, I would either use it or AVAST, not both. From there you can decide if you want the free or paid version of AVAST. (I would just recommend the free.)

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

+1 to above. As well, why pay money when there are so many good, free options -- such as your own free Avast?

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Except for a brief period when I made the mistake of using MSE, I've used the free version AVAST! for some time and it's worked just fine for me. I see no real need for the paid version unless the user of a PC hasn't the discipline to manually run periodic scans.

I've also used the free version of Zone Alarm's firewall for several years and have been happy with it. Their paid security suite doesn't rate all that high in reviews.

jmcguire is correct saying that you shouldn't run more than one AntiVirus progam at a time. Often (if not always), just having more than one installed will cause problems. Free programs that will play well with your AntiVirus (AV only, not a suite) include Malwarebytes (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS).

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.