The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

autoplay, Vista, and Itunes

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by RN
  • Latest reply from ronwlevy
  • Topic Viewed 9644 times

RN

I am running vista. When I use iTunes, I keep getting the autoplay box popping up whenever I sync my iPod (connected via my USB hub). I have set all autoplay settings to do nothing, yet this keeps happening. Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there something that I am not doing right?

Thanks, Richard

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Where did you disable the autoplay at? Control Panel\ Hardware and Sound\ AutoPlay should work.

Also, did you disable autoplay entirely, or just set them not to do anything? I'd try disabling autoplay entirely and see if that helps.

You can also go another route if you have the business/ultimate varieties... type gpedit.msc into the start menu box, and then browse down to
Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ AutoPlay Policies \ Turn Off Autoplay

I can get you the registry key if you need that instead.

Posted 6 years ago

RN

Hi:

I did it that way. I have reset it again - unchecked the autoplay box, and set various options to take no action. I'll report back.

I use Vista Home Premium.

Thanks, Richard

Posted 6 years ago

Zig
Zig

Itunes adds a hidden startup entry.If you windows config or a registry program to remove the startup entry.I think the entry is call itunes helper.Hope that was helpful, you really don't need that to start with windows anyway.

Posted 6 years ago

ronwlevy

Hello,

I tried the solutions above and got as far as this: "gpedit.msc into the start menu box, and then browse down to Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \" but then there was no Aupolay option. I am using Windows 2000. In iTunes, every time a song plays or whenever I move a song on my iPod, the autoplay box comes up and spends 10 seconds scanning all of my computer's folders. Very annoying. (What's worse is that moving songs around on my iPod through iTunes is the only way to get the iPod icon to stay in My Computer. As soon as the song is done rearranging, the icon disappears, so I can't use the iPod to store files.

Help! Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!