The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

Automating ERUNT registry backup with a shortcut

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 4348 times

SarahJames

I found something else today that I find very handy.
I use ERUNT to make backups of my system regularly. But I need to remind myself to do this.

After reading this (which I stumbled upon because I read the article that helped me create a batchfile for Ccleaner and I wanted to make a batchfile for ERUNT) I have made myself a shortcut, which I have placed in startup, so now ERUNT creates a backup everyday.

What you need is to make an ini file and place it in the folder where ERUNT is installed.
It needs to contain these 4 lines:

[ERUNT]

AppendDateToFolderEditField=1
DefaultDestinationFolder=D:\Backup\ERUNT\
DateFormat=yyyy/mm/dd
DateSeparator=-

You should edit the default destination folder to one of your own choice:)

Next step you create a shortcut (I made it in the ERUNT folder and copied it to the startmenu - keeping the original for safety).
So rightclick autoback.exe in the ERUNT folder and select 'create shortcut'.
Rightclick on this shortcut and choose 'properties'.
Edit the target from

"C:\Program Files\Erunt\Autoback.exe"

to

"C:\Program Files\Erunt\Autoback.exe" E:\Erunt\#Date# sysreg curuser

There are more options, just read the article. But I chose to backup to E:\Erunt\
and there it creates a folder with the date for name and I chose the properties of the systemregistry and the current user (I'm the only user;-D).
As I understand it, it will create backups for 30 days and then the ones older then that will be deleted. You can also set it to 7 days etc., but I have plenty of room, so I'll leave it be.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Excellent writeup... I'm going to research this a little more, might turn it into an article =)

Posted 6 years ago

SarahJames

Thanks, Geek:)

Posted 6 years ago

SarahJames

Note: this doesn't work if you use User Account Control.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Oh, I'll make it work =)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i'm sure you will geek :) you seem to figure every thing out at some point

Posted 6 years ago

wallaceb

thank you for the information SarahJames, and thank you geek, your articles are a treasure to other geeks ever where.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Well Sarah, it looks like your post inspired somebody to write on this topic before I'd gotten around to it. Sadly you didn't get any credit for the idea, because the author seems to be completely incapable of giving credit to others.

http://www.winhelponline.com/b.....ing-erunt/

Ramesh, if you are reading this, you need to give credit to Sarah for the idea.

Posted 6 years ago

SarahJames

Thanks Geek for defending me, but I don't think the credit ought to go to me either. All of what I've written down was in the textfile on the ERUNT website, I just picked out some elements and made a short tutorial for just one part of the possibilities. So I think the credit needs to go to Lars Hederer:)

Posted 6 years ago

hbm-la

I just discovered ERUNT Registry Backup. I will try your tweaks, Sarah.

A couple of issues with mine on an XP-sp3 system:
It backs up to the C: Windows folder as default. If I can run in Safe Mode, then fine. I'd rather have it out of the OS, however. So,

Like you, I changed and sent backups to a drive/folder of my choice. But, after the first save, it defaults back to the original Windows folder.
hbm

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Hi hbm,

Thanks, but this is such an old post. I don't have a clue anymore how I did it at the time.
I don't use Erunt anymore, since I make an almost daily image with Macrium Reflect.
Try the above link to Lars Hederer and if you can't find it there start a new topic here. That will get you more attention than this old one ;)
I'm closing this one now.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.