How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

automatically removing identifying information from MS Word 2003 documents

(5 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by turtle
  • Latest reply from krsn89
  • Topic Viewed 2416 times

turtle

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to remove identifying information (the author, etc. info that shows up under File>Properties>Summary) from MS Word 2003 files AUTOMATICALLY. That is, I don't want to have to do this with every new file I start (I know how to do that), I want this information to be gone every time I open a new Word doc.

In the past, I used to be able to do this by tweaking the Normal.dot template, but I'm unable to erase information from that (unless perhaps I'm trying to tweak the wrong Normal.dot file, but I can't find another one on my system).

Any thoughts on how to do this? Again, to reiterate, I know how to do this for each individual document. What I want is for each new Word doc I open to be free of all of the above information.

Thank you!

Posted 7 years ago

michael

You would have to edit your normal template. I am not entirely sure on how to do that.

--
Mike

Posted 7 years ago

turtle

Mike, thanks for writing, but I already noted in my question that I know it may involve changing the Normal.dot file. However, I also noted that I don't know how to do that. So we seem to be exactly where we started.

Can anyone help?

Posted 7 years ago

krsn89

Hey,

I looked it up and found this:

You can remove personal information from a document when you save it. In Word 2002 and 2003, click Tools, then Options. Click the Security tab. Under Privacy options, select "Remove personal information from file properties on save" and click OK. In Word 2000, click Tools, the Options. Select the User Information tab. Clear the information in Name, Initials and Mailing Address and click OK.

I found it on http://www.usatoday.com/tech/c.....ata_x.htm.
Check it out & tell me if it works. I have a newer version of MS Office so I can't really test it out.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
- Kelly

Posted 7 years ago

krsn89

On the other hand, I have no clue if it is permanent, but it probably is a setting.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.