The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Authentic OS problem

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Tookie
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 648 times

Tookie

I have a rebuilt pc which is using pirate windows xp. Now connected to internet permanently, and cannot use desktop wallpaper since microsoft found out!! Have turned off automatic update, but no joy. Any suggestions?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

We do not help when pirated software is involved.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Here's a suggestion:
Install a legal windows.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Here's another suggestion, why not contact Microsoft, I'm sure they would love to hear from you.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Here you go!

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Might be an excellent time to try Linux?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Don't be so hard on Tookie, anyone that runs XP on a rebuilt machine is low knowledge OP to begin with. (LOL) (LOL)

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

GuiltySpark: lol!

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

No need to mock Tookie. I hope I never become so smug! Tookie your best bet is to purchase genuine windows or try Linux. If you try Linux I would recommend Zorin or Mint, which are free to download and install on as many machines as you like unlike Windows. Just be aware there is a learning curve with Linux, hence Zorin is my first recommendation. It is tailored to recent windows users wishing to make the switch to Linux.

Posted 1 year ago

Tookie

Thank you all sooooo much for your valued input. Just for the record, I have 3 P.Cs with no pirated software, including bought and registered software mostly for desktop publishing and music production. I also have 2 lap tops with the same.I am a professional musician by trade, and generally do not support pirating in general. (Think about it for a while, all you geeks who download torrents, mp3s and the like!).
That said, I am experimenting with computers, and building them from scratch was an idea I had to get to know what the hell goes on in the black box. Kinda like when I got my first car....in pieces and had to assemble that. Nice 16th birthday present from Dad.
Thank you to presence 1960 for your suggestion. I thought I would try to get to know windows before attempting other OS. Will keep your suggestion on the back burner for now.
Nice one, Guilty spark, needed a good chuckle.
And lastly........... I live in a 3rd world country. A basic tower, 32 bit, 2.6Gh, 1gig ram, duo core etc (Just the Tower) costs US$ 990.00
To buy XP OS is another $1001 on top. Lets not get into monitors, keyboards and other toys. Compare that with your corner shop and let me know if I am complaining about nothing. The average Middle management salary is around $600-$800 a month, with the lowest rent available anywhere from $450 - $650 a month.
Enough said???
Thanks again to the helpers...

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I think this is a good lesson for all of us who are fat cat. We often forget that we are very fortunate to have access to all the bits we want at reasonable prices. I think none of us would like to live under circumstances like Tookie.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

@ whs - Ditto.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Thanks for the eye opener whs. I have been a member for quite a while and just shake my head when the fat cats can sit back and bang the hell out of some of these less fortunate. I have been to many 3rd world countries during my career and have seen first hand what hardships thses people have. I am not condoning pirated software and feel lighthouse reply should have beed sufficient
Just my opion ::

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Right, it is a tragedy that the fortunes of the world are so unevenly distributed. And in many countries that need not be. It is the greed of a corrupt few that causes the situation.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You can live anywhere, and be poor. On that point this topic is now closed.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.