The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Australian Sub $1000 PC Build

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by InterPC
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 3395 times

InterPC

I have done some research on 'PC Case Gear' to construct an all "Aussie" rounder PC. For those who use and find How-To Geek very informative but want to build a PC in Australia this is what I have come up with for every day tasks and a bit of gaming. Suggestions, comments and opinions are welcome. It is only the essential parts plus the OS.

CASE & POWER SUPPLY: CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II With 500W PSU (Black) - $124.00

GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte Radeon HD5570 OC 1GB - $119.00

OPTICAL DRIVE: LG GH22NS50 SATA DVDRW OEM - $39.00

RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX1600C8D3T1K2/4GX (2x2GB) DDR3 - $159.00

CPU: Intel Core i3 540 - $175.00

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55D-E Motherboard - $199.00

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit OEM - $135.00

TOTAL: $950.00

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

looks good, but i have a few suggestions.
No need for such expansive RAM, you can save $30 by getting th Patriot DDR3 1333 mhz RAM
www.pccasegear.com/index.php?m.....s_id=12906
The Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3 is a great motherboard so you can save another $40
www.pccasegear.com/index.php?m.....s_id=13173
thats a saving of $70
with the money saved get The Core i5 750
www.pccasegear.com/index.php?m.....s_id=12404

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC

Thanks for your suggestion, I was thinking of using the Intel Core i5 and the main reason why I put the Kingston RAM in the build is because I have had no problems using Kingston RAM in the past.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

Patriot is just as good, top RAM brands
Kingston, G.Skill, Corsair, Patriot, OC-Z, Mushkin.

Posted 4 years ago

studio

that's quite a nice build. i am the same as you and prefer Kingston, but that may only be because I am used to it.

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC

Thanks mate.

Posted 4 years ago

dongfeirong87

hmmm.... although your outlined build is good, i feel there are a few holes in it. for a start, you didn't mention a hard drive. You listed 32bit windows 7, but you also listed 4GB of RAM (i assume you know why that would be a bad thing). also if you use a Phenom II 955, you can save money, and get a 1TB Samsung F3 and can also get a HD 5770, which will do better at gaming. The 955 is just as good as pretty much any current intel CPU (except maybe the i7 980X) at being an all-rounder. Though the Centurion 5 II is a nice case, the Gladiator 600 is just as good, and has most of the 5 II's features, yet it costs less, so therefore it would be a viable option.

I am giving a link to a pic of a suggested configuration. This is from the cart of another aussie PC shop, but it is somewhat cheaper than PCCG, yet still very highly regarded.

http://i42.tinypic.com/dq6lu8.jpg (The total comes in at AU$994)

The Shop is called umart online (www.umart.com.au), and although the website looks a bit dodgy, the company itself is somewhat large-ish (they have 5 stores across 2 states) and they won't disappear overnight.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Although the config i have suggested is a tad more expensive than the one which you suggested, you would be getting a better PC overall. It should do good in gaming and multitasking, and the parts selected are all high quality, so it is likely that the computer will be around for a few years to come.

Posted 4 years ago

Anonymous

Was just curious, dongfeirong87 said that having a 32 bit operating system with 4GB ram is bad. Why is that?

Posted 4 years ago

LH

It's not bad. But 32bit OS's can only use 3.27GB of the 4GB. With the price of memory now, that is hardly a worry.
You may find some older systems (BIOS), can only utilize 2GB of memory, or less. But that is a different situation.

Posted 4 years ago

Anonymous

Okay, thanks for the quick fyi! :D

Posted 4 years ago

anzakson

Hello InterPC!
I'm thinking of building a PC and your choice of components seem to be very good.
Have you built your PC by now? If you have, could you please post here how it has been?
Thank you! Have a good one!!!
...anzakson...(anwar) :-))))

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

IMPORTANT INFOMATION
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=8

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

anzakson, could you please ask the question again as a new topic. Times are a changing. Response will be quicker and customised to your post. In addition please see Rick's post above

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.