How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Audio Jack not working!

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Eek
  • Latest reply from Eek
  • Topic Viewed 7679 times

Eek
Eek

So I recently reformatted my computer with Vista Home Premium.
There's a problem though. When i stick my headphones into my laptop or my speakers, it doesn't work. I turn on my iTunes and any other music player, and the music doesn't play out of my headphones or speakers, it comes out of the laptop speakers instead!
When I try to go to the preferences menu or settings menu for the headset/headphones, and I hit the "test" button, the sound comes out of the headphones.

So the audio jack is working...but only when I force it to with the test button.

Any help here guys? I really hope that I don't have to re-reformat my computer. I have to DJ a gig soon and need my laptop!
Thanks in advance!

Posted 5 years ago

JKay
JKay

I had the same problem, what you have to do is go into your sound options in the control panel, and make sure the right audio device is set to default.

Posted 5 years ago

Eek
Eek

erm...i set my DIGITAL OUTPUT DEVICE (SPDIF) Set Default, and the headphone symbol and Speaker symbol disappeared from the list.
Now i have no sound coming anywhere! Whaaat?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

SPDIF is a digital output, usually over coax or TosLink. That's not what you want for the default.

Are you in Control Panel -> Sound on the Playback tab? Lots of systems come with some special software for the installed audio, such as RealTek HD Audio Manager or some such. Do you have something like this on your system?

Posted 5 years ago

Eek
Eek

I downloaded the Realtek software for my computer from the Acer website! Thanks ScottW and JKay!
I got this sorted. Kinda a silly problem but i guess i wigged out a little! hah!

Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!