How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

ati bsod

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mctanthedon
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 459 times

mctanthedon

hi fellas

of late i've been getting frequent blue screens whenever i try to open a video file or even play a simple game like chess. Online solutions say ati software incompatible with this version of window....

Please help.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

If you did not experience this problem until recently, try to use System Restore to "go back in time" to a restore point previous to these issues.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

It is good practice to keep a backup of your important files just in case, as always.

Posted 1 year ago

mctanthedon

i restored my system earlier on today after i'd uninstalled the ATI drivers-wont get into that.... display went awry- i remember some time back i installed nfs but couldn't play it coz of that blue screen. Should i change the display drivers and if i should which ones should i change to...

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Get to the ATI Support webpage:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpud.....index.aspx

At the bottom there are some videos with instructions to identify your graphics card, download the latest driver, uninstall the previous driver, and install the new one. Follow those instructions, and, if you have any doubt, post back here.

Posted 1 year ago

mctanthedon

the drivers i got were the same as i have(VGA ATI 6.14.10.6947 XP x86). On the Acer website, it looked like highest OS supported by my travelmate 8100 was Win XP 32 BIT. Weren't no drivers for win 7. Don't think there's nothin to be done. If there is please advice. Thanks all the same hey....

Posted 1 year ago

BobinSECO

10 bucks says you're on a laptop. N/M. Travelmate 8100. I win. ;D

Your motherboard is broken. Same thing happened to my last lappy, an HP.

There is a company that repairs them in Wichita KS.
According to these guys, a few years ago it became illegal for the OEMs to use lead solder on the motherboards, so now they are fragile and brittle, which is why my HP broke after only 4 years. It is NOT illegal for these guys to use lead solder, though (yet), so they simply take the old solder off and re-solder everything using lead solder.

Has your optical drive also quit working? Webcam? These would be other symptoms that would confirm.

edit by mod- removed link. No shameless self-promotion without consent from HTG. What, you're in CO? Your IP says differently.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

mctanthedon, try going to this Acer support site. Download the Vista drivers and install them. Sometimes Windows Vista drivers might work in W7. You can also try Vista Compatibility Mode, if the Vista drivers do not work in your W7 laptop.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!