The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

AT&T server problem recognizing custom mail programs

(7 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by JimD
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 5064 times

JimD

A friend who connects to internet using at&t dsl cannot access mail. we configured the mail client with the proper incoming/outgoing text stipulated by at&t, are using the correct user name and password. at&t tech support walked us through the proper configuration both for custom email client and also for their default at&t web mail, yet attempts to send or receive mail are unsuccessful and result in error message. at&t uses a default email client that requires this format: johndoe.yahoo.att.net . Any thought on how to continue trouble shooting this problem The computer being used is a ne hp pavilion with vista os and 'windows mail' client.
Thanks for any thoughts,
JimD

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

What is the error message that you are getting?

Posted 7 years ago

JimD

supermansghost,
I will need to call my friend who is having the problem and ask him to read me the error message he is getting. Since here in California it is now eleven o'clock, I will call him Tuesday morning and get the specific wording of the error message and then will post it here.
Until then, I thank you for your kindness and interest.
JimD

Posted 7 years ago

JimD

Hello, superman's ghost-I spoke with my friend regarding the error message and am posting it here:
...'your server has unexpectedly terminated your connection, probable cause for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.
Subject yahoo mail beta, account pop.att.yahoo.com, server:smtp.att.yahoo.com protocol:SMTP,port:465, secure(ssl)no, sockets error:10053, error number: 0x800CCCOF.
Some new info: This a.m.(9-4) he has received three incoming spam messages, all of which went to the spam folder automatically; yet he shows no incoming mail in the inbox, including 2 tests which I sent to him yesterday and today.
I hope this helps in clarifying the problem as the at&t techs had no solutions for this.

Posted 7 years ago

rbailin

I don't understand what you mean when you say that AT&T webmail is of the form "johndoe.yahoo.att.net". That's not a valid email address. Did you mean "johndoe@yahoo.att.net"?

Anyways, whatever problem your friend is having with the mail client, he should still be able to retrieve his mail by logging into Yahoo mail, http://mail.yahoo.com from his browser. Once logged in, he should check the bulk mail folder there for the messages you sent. You can turn off the spam filter in options if necessary.

Posted 7 years ago

JimD

rbailin-Sorry about that mistake-;you are correct, his email would show as johndoe@att.net; I had intended to show the inc/out mail server designations for his att acount: inc: pop.att.yahoo.com out: smtp.att.yahoo.com
So, is this att server the same as using yahoo mail, if so, then I understand your suggestion to go to yahoo mail with his browser; later today, I will have him try that, but we will still have the problem for using a desktop account such as windows mail, or eudora, etc. as his att acount will not accept those even with the above data properly entered.
Thanks for your help with this.

Posted 7 years ago

Scott

Can you ask him to temporarily disable his firewall? If mail is sent and received, that's the culprit.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.