Assistive Technology forum for the Disabled

(14 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by jmeeks49
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 2674 times

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Hi Geeks,

i love this site i come here either every day or every other day to find information that is very helpful to me. As some of you may or may not know, i am disabled and i co-founded The Technology Access Center of Middle Tennessee when i was living in Nashville and what we did is evaluate people with disabilities for assistive technology software/hardware. Before i move to Kansas City 15 years ago i was on the board of directors and work on staff for 8 years. the reason i bring this up is that i feel this site would be a great source of information about assistive technology as you may or may not know assitive technology is equipment that can help a disabled person with every day task that most take for granted it can be a low tech item such as a fork with a rubber grip on it or a high end tech such as a a voice operated computer. i think you would be surprise on how many people with disabilities who has a computers that would visit this site and the forum that would discuss and provide information on the said topic. i guess what i would like to know is who would i need to talk to about starting a worthwhile forum such as this?

thank you very much for your time,

John Meeks

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Hi John, have sent emails to upper admin to whether we could help.
A commendable and interesting idea!

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Mike,

if the upper powers approve this i think it could be one of the more popular forums that HTG has not because of me moderating it but it would bring in more people who needs help in one certain area that probably no one on this site can help with especially when people lack the job skill to have to help people to live out there daily lives not saying that no one wouldn't help but lack the knowledge to know where to point people. anyway, thanks for the push.

john

Posted 3 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Hey Mike,

just wondered if you have heard anything from the upper tier.

John

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

as yet John, no

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

let me know when you do..

Posted 3 years ago

Scott
Scott

Gents, we have created a dedicated forum for Accessibility issues.
Thanks to Mike for his perseverance in having this feature added.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Well John, it has been done. Perhaps you could introduce yourself and explain to our members the purpose and aims. Wish you success.
Many thanks to Scott and The Geek

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Thank you Mike,

Hi everybody,

First of all i would like to thank a few people for their help and fourthcomming on this project. VistaMike and Scott the Geek for helping to get this forum up and going.

My name is John Meeks, i am a disabled 49 soon to 50 year old gentelman who has a background in Assistive Technology

What Is Assistive Technology?

An assistive technology device is any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.

Assistive Technology (AT) is technology used by individuals with disabilities in order to perform functions that might otherwise be difficult or impossible. In short, Assistive Technology helps people to participate fully in all aspects of life.

Assistive technology services are any services that directly assist an individual with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device. People can find information at the Technology Access Center about any type of assistive technology for any type of need. However, center personnel specialize in assistive technologies not offered by other agencies in middle Tennessee and provide individual services centered on specific types of technologies including:
•Alternative/adapted computer access
•Telecommunications access
•Reading and writing adaptations and alternatives
•Modification of educational materials
•Alternative/augmentative communication with speech generating devices
•Adapted toys and recreational activities
•Accessible home, work, and school environments
•Electronic and low tech aids for daily living
•Technology designed for individual safety especially in homes
•Modified tools for specific tasks
•Low-vision aids
•Braille printing

I know that this website is about Geeks and their toys and i will stay with Alternative/adapted computer access so i won't get off topic. but feel free to ask me about the other cataglories and i will try to help to give you a example this is the company that i co-founded when i was in Nashville http://www.tacnashville.org/ it will give some idea what we did and they still do today.

What's my long term goal for this forum?

My goal is to help people with the information that i have provided with certain adaptive computer software and hardware for the disable. Please if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask them i will help as best that i can.

Thank you,

John Meeks

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

John. Could you copy that into a New Topic please, then we can stick it to the top of the forum, as an introduction.

Posted 3 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

yes LH sorry..

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

It's ok John. I understand Mike is looking after you, so I'll leave it in his hands.

Posted 3 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

do you want to delete that part for me???

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

That's ok. It can be left in.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!