SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Are PC Cleaners really going to help you?

(26 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ispalten
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 812 times

whs
whs

Rick, I absolutely agree. The manufacturers should be made liable for their flaws. But in the US you will never see such a legislation unless people get physically hurt - maybe in the EU there is a chance that they evolve into that direction. They just passed a nice law that you get compensated by the airline if a flight is delayed - starting with a 3 hour delay (200 Euros ($260)) up to 600 Euros ($800) for a long delay. And that even if they transported you.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

THANKS whs !!!

I think as you do.

Companies plus their Management should be held accountable for the products and services they sell.

It appears that customers and ordinary workers have no say anymore. :(

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If that were the case you would not have the technology we have today. No one could live up to that standard. Computer programs have bugs. It is there nature.

I've had a 50 year career chasing computer bugs/.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

We are speaking about KNOWINGLY putting out bad products/services and NEGLECTING to take appropriate action to remedy the situation.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Xhi, still, I think the manufacturer should be made responsibel and it is up to him to prove that he has done everything in his power to avoid such problems.

I know very well that is is quasi impossible to write error free code of any substance. Question is what is a software manufacturer doing to get as close to the error free situation as possible - e.g. following the ISO standards and getting certification for that.

But the proof should be with the manufacturer, not with the customer. That's the law they passed in Germany. The manufacturer has to prove that it was not a design or implementation flaw.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I found the ISO 9000 - and that is a big deal. To get certified, you have to change your whole organization - from the mail department to the board. And that may take several years. In Germany, in many areas you cannot do business with the goverment and all it's organizations unless you are certified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9000

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!