How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

archived .pst files to mbox on a mac &/or recovery of lost files

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by debbie
  • Latest reply from debbie
  • Topic Viewed 6901 times

debbie

Hello

I forgot to save my mbox files before reinstalling MAC OS X on my new macbook...!
I am trying to find a solution using filesalvage but when on a budget...

I have however managed to retrieve my archived outlook (.pst) files I had put on a cd.
I do not have the PC anymore so I wanted to know if it is possible to convert the pst file to mbox on my mac.

Help...

Posted 6 years ago

MetrotekGeek
MetrotekGeek

Hi Debbie. Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/) stores email in native mbox format. You could install Outlook and the .pst files, then use Thunderbird to import from Outlook. If you need access to the mbox files themselves, they're stored in the Thunderbird Profiles directory. You'll want the files that have NO extension ie Inbox. or Sent. You can rename these files with the .mbox extension, copy them to your Mac, and use them in your Mac email client. Hope this helps.

Posted 6 years ago

debbie

Hi MetrotekGeek and a million thank-you's for the response...
One thing, you mention installing outlook and the .pst files, did you mean on my mac?
I no longer have the/a PC but I've got the .pst file... Do I need to find myself a PC and make the .pst to mbox transfer on said PC and then transfer the mbox files to the mac?

Starting to think filesalvage is my only escape...!

Posted 6 years ago

MetrotekGeek
MetrotekGeek

What version of Outlook are the .pst files saved in and what mail client are you using on the Mac?

Posted 6 years ago

debbie

outlook version windows XP 2000, I'm using Mail on the Mac.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!