SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Apps in Windows App store optimised for touch screen devices?

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by very452001
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 443 times

very452001

Windows 8 apps in windows app store are optimised for touch screen devices?

My laptop isnt touch screen. So is it best for example to download adobe reader app from win 8 app store or download adobe reader program from adobe website?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

From the Adobe website.

Posted 1 year ago

very452001

Ok so i always download the program from the website instead of the app version from app store?

Whats the point of apps then? They maybe good because they have a smaller file size and good for touch screen devices and basic to use. What else apps are good over programs?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

If you are running W8, these store apps are good IF you want to run the apps from the Start Screen. However, many are 'dups' of existing PC apps, like Skype for instance. If you have a W8 tablet like RT though, this is the ONLY way to get Skype.

Many 'duplicate' what one can find on the iPad or Android store. For instance, USA TODAY app appears to be the same as the one on my iPad. However, there is NO PC equivalent for USA TODAY other than using a browser to go to its website.

Another is ESPN, same as the iPad, but no PC version.

Of course, the store I think will also be selling W8 PC apps as well. I've not really looked though.

The basic point is to supply apps for RT and Windows Phones I assume, not network connected PC's that can use 'real' programs. Some Live Tiles do have value as they update icons on the Start Screen, something PC icons don't do. W7 gadgets, like for weather and other functions did, but these will not work in W8, the closest to the Live Tile functions.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.