SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Application to password-protect folders/executables?

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mindstormer
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 318 times

mindstormer

Any popular, open-source, and/or portable application that prevents users from opening a folder or a program by requiring passwords? For strong privacy and security, I would encrypt my files with something like TrueCrypt. However, I want a quick way to access files by just entering a password in order to access a folder or a program after double-clicking the file. I know that it's not necessary as secure as encrypting the files, but it would be far more convenient. This allows me to let my friends/family use my computer without them tinkering with private data--they can do the basics like general web browsing or playing a video from their hard drive.

I've googled and found some several programs to fulfill this need, but they are all very obscure and unpopular programs made by someone who had some free time on their hands.

I can create a limited account on Windows for this purpose, but it takes up unnecessary space, time, and resources, and I want to maintain certain settings that I have on my primary account.

Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Why not just activate the guest Account? It is already there so takes up no additional space. It is specifically designed to do exactly what you want, ie. keep folks out of your stuff.

If you did what you want it seems it would be a lot of trouble as you would not only have to unlock files/folders when you need them, but, before turning the computer over to your friends you would have to lock them back up again. A process that I would be too lazy to do. They would also be leaving traces, temp files, cookies, etc. of their computing experience on your account. Be able to download and install programs/music, a big source of malware.

I would never let anyone use my account under any circumstances, special locked folders or not. I think you need to rethink your situation.

Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

I only have a few programs and files that I need to lock up and I was thinking the program would just ask for a password and you enter it when you double-click the exe. My friends/family don't use my computer often, and when they do, I don't want to make it seem like a big deal for me to ensure they don't touch anything I don't want them to touch, especially when they are just claiming to do some simple task. I don't even need a lengthy password--just something really simple because the presence of having something pop-up and asking for a password is enough to deter most general users.

I guess I can create a guest account as a last resort, but like I said it takes up resources and I would have to tweak a bunch of settings to have it match my primary account's. Also, it's not like they use my computer on a frequent basis.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

The guest account should already be there it should be just a matter of activating it.

While you would have particular programs nd folders protected, you would not have the registry, and other operating system areas pertaining to your user account protected.

My family loves me even though I do not let them use my computer.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

For encrypting / decrypting the odd files or folders... try the free AxCrypt. I like its right click context menu. Also included is an easy-to-use, secure file shredder.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Something like this might help
http://folder-lock-free.en.softonic.com/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!