SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Application to automatically backup your flash drive when it is inserted?

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mindstormer
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 3025 times

mindstormer

I'm a college student and more than once my flash drive has failed me. I need an application that automatically backups your flash drive when it is inserted. In terms of shareware, the best ones seem to be GoodSync and Allway Sync. I really prefer one that is free and that doesn't limit the number of tasks/files I am doing.

Thanks.

How do you guys deal with the risk of your flash drive failing? I really don't want to manually copy my files every time I have to use my flash drive.

P.S. Cloud storage such as SugarSync and Dropbox sacrifices your privacy, bandwidth (would be fine if they allowed you to control the rate of uploading), and reliability (your account may be compromised, the company may fail, you may not have internet, etc.)

Thanks once again.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

For me my flashdrive contents are on my computer, and an external harddrive besides the flashdrive.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

3 Ways to Automatically Backup Your Flash Drive

Then, of course there is the simple two line Batch file which can be placed in the autorun.inf file on the root of the drive so that it would run a simple .bat file whenever you plug in your drive. The .bat file would be something like:

xcopy *.* C:\flashdrive1 /a (/a only copies files with the archive bit set, ie. those that have changed.)
attrib -a /s (resets the archive bit. It is set when changes are made to a file.)

Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

I already read that article--SyncToy is outdated, GoodSync when free limits your number of tasks performed to 3, and DSynchronize looks really unprofessional and unclear in the features it offers. I just downloaded DSynchronize and will get it a try, but I feel that it's not capable of remembering your flash drives. For example, GoodSync remembers your flash drive regardless of whether it is assigned as am E drive or a G drive. If I were to plug in two flash drives, my 2nd flash drive might not be assigned to an E drive (and might be an F drive) which I set DSynchronize to because my other flash drive which I do not want to be backed up might be taking up that slot.

Also, I'm not quite sure exactly what that .bat file would accomplish and how I would apply it. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Few years ago I tried/used ALLWay Sync to do just that. It worked like a charm.
It's fast and reliable, with the ability to compare source and destination files to backup only new or modified files instead of re-writing over and over.

http://allwaysync.com/features.html

Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

As I said earlier, GoodSync and Allway Sync would be no-brainers if I have money. I will still buy either if I can't find a free one that does similar things. Actually, I will try Allway Sync. You have to pay if you sync more than 40,000 files in a month (and I feel I can exceed that limit easily), but I'll see whether I actually do reach that limit. Still, it's hard to believe there's no freeware for this type of task without such limitations.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Since your Success in your College courses may depend on the USB Sticks, it is a No-Brainer to have many and back them up Manually.

Better to Pass and Graduate than to tell Professor your computer automatic backup plan failed.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

If money is really an issue.. you can always.. you know.. copy/paste manually...
I tried the free version and as you said.. 40,000 files is rapidly achieved. I did pay and it served me well.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

And give your flash drives high drive letters. Not E or F, but R (for example)

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Always click Safely Remove Hardware in the system tray before removing.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

I'm still not sure why my idea of a simple batch file in the autorun.inf file of the drive wouldn't be a cheap solution to backing up the new/changed files each time the drive is plugged in which is what the title to the topic wanted. Why are more elaborate/expensive solutions required. The method suggested has worked for my wife for years. In her case any time she wants to backup her files she simply plugs in the backup drive and it copies all her files to it. This is just the reverse direction.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

This is what I use for my backups, not sure if it would suit you but works fine for me

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.