How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - %AppData%

(35 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by wmk
  • Latest reply from Bartman
  • Topic Viewed 44648 times

wmk
wmk

The value AppData is%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming for my Windows Vista (English) under HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. And yet I still get error 1606 Could not access network location %APPDATA% when I tried to install Java and Adobe updates. Pls help.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

wmk, hello. Can you access %APPDATA% by entering this variable in a Run box (Win+R)? I would suggest that you check all of the environment variables, from a Command Prompt run set. Check the location of all of the special folders, Shell Folders and User Shell Folders, in both HKLM and HKCU hives and compare to a known good list. In addition, you could use a software such as Known Folders Browser to look at the data.

Have you moved any of the special folders?

Posted 5 years ago

wmk
wmk

I checked my computer vs the lists in winhelponline and found the flwg items that differ from the lists:
A. HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
1. {Default} REG_SZ {value not set}
this is not in the list
2. Personal REG_EXPAND_SZ D:\Documents
it is %USERPROFILE%\Documents in the list
3. Favorites - I do not hv this
B. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
1. {Default} REG_SZ {value not set}

Posted 5 years ago

wmk
wmk

I only checked the 2 User Shell Folders and not others.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

The default values go without saying. I do have Personal and Favorites:

Favorites    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
Personal    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\Documents

I don't see why these would cause problems, but you should restore them anyway. Also, did you check the environment variables? Can you access %APPDATA% from a Run box (Win+R)? Have you moved any of the special folders?

Posted 5 years ago

wmk
wmk

Does it mean I keep the default values?
I do not want to change my Personal because I want to keep my documents in D: and still keep them from being seen by other account users.
When I type %APPDATA% in the Run box I get the folder at my username - AppData - Roaming.
I do not know which are special folders.
I checked all the environment variables in the 2 User Shell Folders I mentioned earlier.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Yes, leave the default values as is. They belong there.

You can move any or all of your personal folders to another drive, as shown in this article. That will update the registry, too.

That's the proper behavior for Run -> %APPDATA%, it opens Explorer at that folder. This shows that the environment variable is good, but doesn't explain why the error message is calling it out.

All of these folders listed in the (User) Shell Folders registry keys are special folders in Windows.

Posted 5 years ago

wmk
wmk

I have already moved my documents to D: and that's why Personal has a value data D:\Documents instead of %USERPROFILE%\Documents. Except for this and the fact that I do not have Favorites, the entire 2 User Shell Folders have entries that match the lists in the link you provided, namely winhelponline.
So now where do I go from here, please?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Here is the list of special folder from Microsoft's KB article about error 1606.

Adobe also has a KB article about 1606. This article at java mentions a 1606, but I can't tell if it's the same one.

This only happens on Adobe and Java products? Which products? Only updates and not installs? Do other vendor's software installs or updates work? I see another mention of MS Office -- do you have it installed?

Posted 5 years ago

wmk
wmk

I have kb 886549 already. There are errors in there. In HKCU, the value data for Personal and PrintHood are swopped. And the list for HKLM does not apply to Windows Vista. The lists in winhelponline are good.
I had a quick look at the Adobe and java articles, they don't seem to be the same. I will have a closer look at them.
So far, this error 1606 only happens on Adobe and Java updates:
Java -- jre-6u16-windows-i586.exe
Adobe -- AdbeRdr910-en-US.exe

I have no trouble with Windows update and Kaspersky internet security updates. I have MS Ofice 2007 installed.

Do I now carry out the instructions in the Java and Adobe articles?

Posted 5 years ago

wmk
wmk

Sorry if I sound offensive

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I didn't hear anything offensive.

If you are waiting for an answer to your last question then, yes, try the steps in the KB articles from Java and Adobe.

Posted 5 years ago

wmk
wmk

Thanks for yr reply.

THE JAVA ARTICLE requires one to send in the flwg files from the Temp folder:
MSI*****.log file
java_install.log file
jusched.log file

But previously I was advised in a forum to go as the administrator to C:\ProgramFiles\Java to delete the entire Java folder before updating. The deletion was unsuccessful, with the message "Destination Folder Access Denied". Upon further advice, I installed unlocker1.8.7.exe and finally the Java folder was gone. (But I still have java.exe in System 32.)

Maybe as a result, I only found jusched in my Temp folder.

THE ADOBE ARTICLE offers 7 solutions.
Since I installed my MS Office 2007 in June 2008 and Adobe updates were still successful in April 2009, I do not think the solutions involving MS Office really apply in my case.

I even convert back the Documents folder to %USERPROFILE%/Documents, but with no improvement on the Adobe updates.

What can I do now?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

wmk, I'm not sure what to suggest now. You could try uninstalling the Java RE and Adobe Reader, then reinstalling.

You could use Revo Uninstaller (32-bit only) to get a cleaner uninstall. Then use JavaRa to remove traces of old Java runtimes. Adobe has this article on manually removing Reader 8, but I don't see a similar article for Reader 9.

You could run a mild registry cleaner, such as CCleaner. You could run the System File Checker (SFC).

These are all things that you could do, but I can't guarantee that any of this will fix your problem.

Posted 5 years ago

wmk
wmk

I took the plunge and carried out product recovery for my computer,then successfully installed jre-6u16-windows-i586.exe.

Can you please tell me which update I need for jre1.6.0\bin\java.exe, as this still shows up as a vulnerability by Kaspersky. Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

wmk, Java RE 6 update 16 is the latest version. Since Java does not uninstall old versions automatically, I always manually uninstall the older version before installing the new one. Secunia PSI does version checking on my system and will call out downlevel Java to me.

If the java.exe in your jre1.6.0\bin folder is not the latest version, then delete or uninstall it. If you need an older version for some reason, then make an exception for it with Kaspersky.

Posted 5 years ago

wmk
wmk

I deleted the java.exe in the jre1.6.0\bin folder.

I have not got Secunia PSI. Is there a convenient way to uninstall older verions of Java in the future?

Posted 5 years ago

mikehunt
mikehunt

As Scott said it is usually the best policy to uninstall older versions from add n remove programs before updating, that way there is no conflicting issues the new update just install's to the old folder but the older actual app is uninstalled via the add and remove programs, if you want to start uninstallation deeper than that you have to start digging into the registry, and files and folders and so on, which takes a long time and can sometimes go completely wrong !!!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

wmk, the utility JavaRa, mentioned above, will search out the leftovers of old Java installations and help you delete them.

Posted 5 years ago

wmk
wmk

Scott, what about Adobe? Any similar problem there?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.