SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Anyone with X-FI Series: Will get very little Support from Creative Labs!

(25 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Hunter
  • Latest reply from Hunter
  • Topic Viewed 2194 times

Hunter

Its a shame really for anyone using your X-FI Series on Windows Vista or the new Windows 7, forth coming? - As all the Drivers and Modules worked well for Windows XP only! And that is a fact.

Even after 2 years, since from when Vista as been out? - They still can not get the right drivers and Modules to work as it did on XP.

We all know that Microsoft, as made changes, which is due to the (dll. exe); but why can't they at Creative Lab get your act together and come up with Solutions for this problem!

As I cannot use your X-FI Platinum, on Windows 7; as it does not support it or any new drivers from your Support Web-Site, will not work as well. And this goes for Vista too!

So the big question: When are Creative, going to get some good Programmers, to do the job right for them, as for us in able to use your X-FI Series?

As, I and all the Peers know, how crap are Creative, on coming up with any good Drivers that really work!

Regards,

Paul Lucas

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Paul. Why are you ranting here, and not there ?

Posted 4 years ago

Hunter

Hi LH,

Because, 1. Creative Labs, don't have a good Forms Site, and also, there is not a very good

"Tech Support", that you can get a reply from! And second to that, is to make it aware and avoid

Issues regarding what Support, there is, for the forthcoming Windows 7; by the way, of Drivers

that will or not work in Microsoft (dll. exe) Issue!

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

OK Paul. So what do you propose we do about it ?

Posted 4 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

there's an idea, open a "RANT" forum...

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

http://rantandraveforum.com/

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

or write your own dll's and drivers :)

Posted 4 years ago

Hunter

Hi LH,

A good question, you may ask? - But for the real propose of this is for Microsoft and Creative Labs, as I hope if anyone can get a cross to them, is to come up with a Solution in for O.S Windows 7.

As I cannot use for now My X-FI Platinum on Windows 7. - As the Drivers and Modules will not work fully for the X-FI Sound in Windows 7 Sound Control Panel.

As they all worked well in XP!

So does anybody out there? - Know a better way of get a point to them or somehow finding a way, as to able to contact them by Email, of some form of getting around their Tech Support?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Phone the bosses direct.

Posted 4 years ago

Hunter

Nice 1. - 0zSpitt and LH,

RANT them up on the Phone! If I can find their phone Number in some disused Toilet some ware!

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

My Case didn't work with Win7 until I made a MOD for it.

Posted 4 years ago

Hunter

Hi raphoenix,

How do you make a MOD? for the X-FI? - That will work in Win7. As I would like to use My X-FI, rather than the on board Sound that I have on the Asus P5E3 Motherboard. Which is the SoundMax.

So I would like some info' on how to go about this?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

LOL

p.s.,this will shortly be going OT.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Hunter,
---
Was just having a bit of fun concerning the Computer Case joke.
---
Unless you can find some Vista / Win7 Drivers for the X-FI Platinum Card, I'm afraid it will just NOT work with the new O/Ses.
---
For reasons unknown, [ but I can guess why ], MS decided to code the new O/Ses so that many existing devices will not work under them. Tis a shame !!
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Hunter

Hi raphoenix,

Well, that's that hope all gone down the drain them! - As for X-FI, it won't even work on Vista Fully.

So it is now down to Microsoft, as well as, Creative to come up with a Solution for this. - As one can only hope for!

All I know at this point in Win7; is the lack of Dillhost exe? - That are needed for any Modules

and Drivers to work out Properly!

Also, when the full Version of Win7 Pro, comes out. It should have the XP Mode built in! - One can hope from there in that version will have all the (Dillhost exe) in.

Thanks for your reply,
Paul Lucas

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

raphoenix,
---
Appears this is all they have.
http://support.creative.com/Pr.....px?catid=1
---
Would plan on getting another Audio Card compatible with the new O/Ses preferably of another brand.
=========================================
I might add this type of thing concerning drivers has been going on with Creative Labs since the 1990s so I am NOT surprised at their actions.
=========================================
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Hunter, I see Windows 7 beta drivers for X-Fi Platinum are available from Creative here. They have a chart showing the availability of Windows 7 drivers for all of their products. They also have a Windows 7 FAQ, all of this linked from the Windows 7 Intro.

So, what is the problem? Can you show me another audio card maker that shows this much love for Windows 7?

Posted 4 years ago

Hunter

Hi Scottw,

Yeah, as I know that they are Beta Drivers for the X- Fi Platinum, for Win7? - But they don't fully function all three Modules, that should run on X-FI.

As there was no problem getting all the drivers and Modules up and running in XP! - As in XP you had all the (dllhoust.exe) files; Which in Win7, they are a lack of these Files?

Also, as you say "Can you show me another audio card maker that shows this much love for Windows 7". - I would like to know how this could be?

As I have found out from them and along with others too! - There is not much Support from them. Furthermore, any up-dates you get from them, always fail. - Even their drivers for Vista, as for O.S Windows Vista; Don't work!

And Vista, as now been out for over 2 years and Creative still can't get that right to work fully!

So much for Creative and their Sounds Cards; Only Work in XP!

Mind you to be Fair, with them; it is also down to Microsoft to come up with Solutions, regarding their (dillhoust.exe) for any audio card and graphic card, to work fully in Win7!

So all I can hope for is when the full release of Windows 7 Pro, which will get the XP Mode Built in. - Then I will be able to try out X-Fi Platinum!

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Hunter, if you are talking about dllhost.exe then it is definitely part of Windows 7. I am running Windows 7 now, and there are two instances of dllhost.exe running on my system. Go to Start -> Search and type in "dllhost.exe". If it's not found, then maybe your Windows 7 install is corrupted.

On this system, I am running Vista drivers for the RealTek audio in Windows 7. On my other system, I am running XP drivers under Windows 7 for a Yamaha sound chip. Neither of these chips have official Windows 7 support -- no preview drivers, no availability matrix. So when I see all of the support pages at creative.com for Windows 7 it looks like a great commitment on their part.

Now, whether their drivers work or not, I don't know firsthand because I don't have a Creative sound card. However, I do see plenty of discussion in other forums from folks trying to get theirs to work in Windows 7. For example, this thread at neowin indicates some people are having success with it. Maybe you could find a solution there, or in another forum.

BTW, XP Mode Beta is available now for Win7 RC, so there is no need to wait if you would like to try it out.

Posted 4 years ago

Hunter

Hi Scottw,

Thanks for your info' about "dllhost.exe". - As I know they are apart of Win7; as you can see from the (Task Manager) it only shows two up and running!

Nevertheless, if you look at the Resource Monitor; you will notice that two more dllhost.exe, are showing Terminated. - And also on XP, you would see more of these running (dllhost.exe), which have been missed out from Microsoft Win7 RC. At this time and stage of development.

And many thanks to you about (XP Mode Beta) which I an now reading about!

Yes, there are plenty of discussion in other forums that are trying to get it to work.

Nevertheless, even with the Vista Beta drivers from Creative, will give many problems; as THX Console will keep on crashing. - Also you can't get 5.1 sound, only stereo and as for doing any Recording from it, you have got no chance!

At the moment, I am using the on Motherboard Sound; Which is the Asus HD SoundMax and the only drivers that work for it are Vista. And that is for the Sound only, which is fine. But the SoundMax BlackHawk (AI Audio 2) Module multi-channel, will not work, as it also crashes on opening it!
Even so, least I can get 5.1 sound out from it.

Nice 1 to you,
Paul Lucas

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!