The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Any way to get old soft like frontpage98 to install on win7

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Bill8
  • Latest reply from Bill8
  • Topic Viewed 2717 times

Bill8

I have a customer that really wants to get frontpage98 (from the original cd) to install on a new windows 7 machine - but so far I can't get it to install. It gives me a "not compatible with this version of windows error" very quickly into the setup.

This soft was running fine on an xp machine with sp3 - but I can't be sure when it was installed, I'm guessing way back when before any of the service packs.

I've tried various settings with the compatibility troubleshooter with no joy.

I'm new to win7 myself - so forgive me if this is a simple noob fix.

Suggestions on how to get old software to install on windows 7 please?

Or workarounds that will let me make a customer happy?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

OK. Not an actual fix, but I have found with Vista, that if you have a program that won't install, just keep trying. It sometimes brings up an alternative install window (for want of a better phrase) that lets you do it.

Posted 5 years ago

lvct

Bill8 Hi.
If frontpage98 was running ok on an xp machine, there is some information here that may help. It is a bit involved though. http://www.magnesiummedia.com/.....windows-7/

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire

If you have Windows 7 Professional or higher it should install with no problems in XP mode.

Posted 5 years ago

Bill8

Well, it's windows 7 home premium, so afaik the tricks in win7 pro can't be used - I'd read about those but no joy in this case.

I'll be giving both the other ideas a try, repeated install attempts (and more messing with the compatibility troubleshooter), and then the virtual xp emulator concept.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.