The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Any tips for preserving battery life ?

(19 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by amkeew
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 972 times

amkeew

My dell inspiron 1420 is on for about 12 hours a day, all the time plugged to the ups power. Does this reduce the battery life ? Of late, when I run on battery during my travel, I see that my battery operation time keeps dropping off, from 4 hours a year ago to 3, 2 to 1 hour today.

Any tips ?

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I have observed that it is best to keep the battery out if you do not need it for a longer period of time. Constant recharging does not seem to be healthy. But this is not a scientific statement - just an observation. And should your battery die, here is a place where you can get a replacement for a reasonable price.

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew

Thanks whs. You mean, I should remove the battery while plugged to the power ?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

amkeew,

Deep cycle the battery to full discharge often.
Also as as <whs> suggest, do not leave the battery on constant charge when using the adapter and UPS.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew

Thanks raphoenix. Starting battery full discharge now. Will remove battery when on ups.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

@amkeew, just one other thing. When you do not use the laptop for a longer period of time (a month or more), take the battery out. I once forgot to take it out and went away for 6 months. When I came back, it was dead. That's how I found the link I posted above for a reasonably priced replacement.

@Rick, nice to see that you are back. I got worried you might have had an accident in one of your flying stunts - LOL. But seriously, I said to the wife." I wonder whether Rick is OK".

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew

Thanks whs.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a turn-off switch for the battery instead of the hassle of removing it from its bay ?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,
Thanks for the welcome. Had to take a little time off to to keep from getting vertigo. (lol) (lol)
Times are tough all over so thought maybe I could help our new members keep their hardware running until things turn around.
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Rick, good to hear that everything is OK. Take it easy - I know this vertigo effect.

@amkeev, a switch would not be the same thing. As long as there is a connection, there is always a chance of "creeping" electricity that would deplete the battery. If e.g. you left your car sitting for a year, your battery would be dead - even though you switched it off with the key. So it is important that all contacts are being cut.

Posted 5 years ago

raijin

Wait, I'm sort of confused here. As long as I'm connected to a power source via a plug, it's ok to remove the battery? Also, what do you mean by full discharge(Does this mean take the battery down to 0%?) The reasons I'm asking this is because I pretty much never use my laptop without it being plugged in.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

In your case I would suggest to leave the battery out (when you are most of the time on house current). Just put it in a day before you plan to travel with the laptop so that you have a charged battery. What Rick meant with "full discharge" (I think) is that you do not always want to recharge just because you lost 20% of the charge. It is the little ups and downs that is not good for the battery - a full discharge and then a full charge is better.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Also, sometimes you can restore a dead battery by putting it in the fridge or freezer for approx 12 hours, take out of the freezer and let it warm up to room temperature, and then recharge it.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

raijin,
This subject could get very complicated quickly.
Much depends on what type of battery your computer has and its usage pattern.
If it is a Lithium-ion battery, then deep discharging is not required as this type of battery has no "memory".
If it is a Nickel-metal hydride battery, then deep discharging would be in order at least once per month due to battery "memory". Suffice it to say that constant heat and charging are detrimental in most cases to most batteries for portable devices. There is a caveat based on the type of charging circuitry your machine uses.
If it were my machine, I would fully, discharge, recharge and store the battery until needed if you are using the UPS and laptop as a desktop computer.
Here are a several links to battery knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_metal_hydride
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.....wer_supply
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

raijin

Thanks for all the help, but I have one last question. If I take my battery out, what am I supposed to do about the exposed region on the back of my laptop?

Posted 5 years ago

Gandalf

Extended Battery Life

Posted 5 years ago

LH

raijin. I wouldn't worry too much about that. But keep an an eye on the temperatures inside. Just in case there may be an airflow anomaly.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

raijin,
(lol) (lol) Not really the one to ask about neatness. Most on the forum know I run larger tower machines with the case sides removed and HDs, etc. hanging out all over the place. Have been known to run machines with no case and the components spread out all over the dining room table much to the chagrin of my spouse. (lol) (lol)
A possible solution is to use a thin piece of cardboard cut out to fit over the opening and a thin strip of duct tape to attach it. This will keep the dust out and maintain the laptop designed air flow. Am sure there are 100's of other creative ideas to cover the opening.
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Thanks Rick. I was thinking along similar lines :)
But see how the temps go first eh ?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@LH,

Agree. I'm thinking that battery stays pretty warm all the time and removing the mass might actually help in keeping the total machine a bit cooler.
As you said, best to monitor the temp and see what happens.
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.