How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Any problems occured whilst using Win7?

(35 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by madmacs
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 3818 times

madmacs
madmacs

Hi all, I thought I´d start a thread with the problems that anyone has had since installing Win7 (x64). So far from what I have seen is the new O/S is FAST!! My programs/games install a hell of a lot quicker than in Vista. The start up/shut down times are also very fast!!

So now to my problems..., a virtual CD/DVD emulator is a big problem to install. I was always running DaemonTools Pro Advanced within Vista, trying it out in Win7 just sent me in a neverending loop!! In order to install DT the driver will be installed then one is asked to restart to complete installation, which I did. After restarting the program it continued up until a certain point, then asking me to reboot again (and again, and again ;) ), with no luck :( The adapter was not found. Slysoft´s Virtual Clonedrive (which I found posted here, never heard of it before) worked only after a hard reset (H/R)!!

So far I have tried to install a few games, most of the newer titles will install (very fast) but when I actually try and play these they tend to hang up, with a H/R being the only option (Task Manager won´t work!!) Maybe it has something to do with a SLI setup, I´m not sure!!

Firefox and IE8 have hung up a couple of times whilst trying to stream live using Sopcast/TUV Player.

Card reader´s would not show up in "My computer", although they worked and I had problems sending "stuff" to my USB flash drive, although it worked after a few attempts!!

Otherwise, Win7 is actually great, I am so impressed how quick it can install everything, I never thought the installation would be quicker due to the O/S rather than the hardware!!

Anyone else have any problems? Then please post here and let everyone know!! Matt

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I'm still stuck at 16% download after about 15 hours :(

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

No huge problems yet. My biggest fear was with the nVidia driver but it turns out the display looks very, very nice.

I haven't gotten around to install or download programs much though. The UI is pretty, UAC is more manageable and yes, it really is only like Vista on Prednisone.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

lmao, prednisone!! Well, I guess so!!

Scott, which driver did you use? The one that came with Win7? Or did you manually D/L the ones from NVidia?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Paul Thurrott has an article on Win7 hardware and software compatibility. He mentions SlySoft products, such as CloneDVD, that work. His short list of known incompatible software is Skype and OneCare.
http://www.winsupersite.com/wi.....compat.asp

Prednisone is a corticosteroid, so Scott is saying that Win7 is like Vista on steroids. Well, just the the one steroid, maybe.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Matt, I am using the default nVidia driver that installed with a 7 Windows Update. I will post back later with the exact number.

Dubya, that was a non-technical observation. I know they're both based on the same kernal but little else. I need to see how my usual programs react to a new OS and a beta's first week is hardly a gauge. Naysayers will call it lipstick on a pig but I happen to like pork. In deference to Rick I will not post a picture ;)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

What ???? (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)
I downloaded (6) copies of that PIG !!!!
Now just got to get a new DVD burner to "roast" it. (LOL) (LOL) :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

@Matt

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

downloaded win 7 without any problems in about 1.5hrs.

waiting on another thread to be answered before i begin installation. hope all my drivers are compatible with it **fingers crossed**

@ madmacs- i switched over to power iso instead of DT a few months back. i would recomend it. it not only allows you to mounth the image but also lets you burn it to a cd/dvd and has many other great features. although im not sure if it works with win 7

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

@Scott, thx. Well I had to download from Nvidia due to SLI!! I think that was the problem causing the crashing games!! Maybe with the WDDM 1.0 I would not of had those issues!! Infact, there was a WWDM 1.1 offered in Windows Update but it would not install on my system. (Again, probably due to two video cards!!)

@drifta, thx. I have used PowerIso in the past (especially for .daa files) but am personally not too keen on it!! DT Pro has a lot of options for creating virtual drives and is great program, for burning I use other programs. Matt

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

One other thing I noticed while taking the snip to show you. The underlying window (of MS Updates) would not move once I had right clicked on the driver details. This is not the case in Vista and is one of the behaviors I've come to appreciate. Not sure if it is always like that in 7 but hope out of focus window positions can be moved around.

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

I installed Win7 seamlessly and it was up and running on a new partition in 2 hrs (download, burn and installation). Worked first time, very quick bootup. Connected to lan and wifi quickly. Installed VM PCguard and ran a scan, no problems. Picked up and connected via bluetooth to my Storm (Blackberry software took ages to instal). Got Soldier Of Fortune to run as in win98 (couldn't get it to run in Vista HP at all (app.crash). Only problem encountered so far, my new wireless printer (HP 4500) won't allow me to instal the software (unsupported OS) However 7 picked up the printer via usb and loaded drivers for usb printing. I had this problem in Vista and had to uninstall IE8 ( HP support suggestion ) so not really upset over this. I like it!!!

Posted 5 years ago

rocky6190
rocky6190

How did you guys install Windows 7, i tried mounting the image file using Virtual Clone Drive but get the spwizeng.dll error which seems to be famous in google search results. Please can someone provide a little step by step guide from downloading the ISO to starting the install? I don't need to know about partitioning, im using an exertnal HDD.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

vistamike, we're going to make member 'mikerbromley' inactive, unless you rather use that one.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

rocky6190, no need to double post, someone will reply (hopefully) to your original thread.

Posted 5 years ago

rocky6190
rocky6190

OK, please do accept my apologises

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

No worries, mate.

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Scott, I was unable to login as 'mikerbromley' so reregistered; I had a problem remembering password! Happy to continue as vistamike

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

vistamike, I lived in Surrey for 12 years, I sympathise :)

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

OK, if you change your mind, we can retrieve your old password or even change it.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!