SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Any partition tutorial using a third party software?

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Designing5
  • Latest reply from Hermitt
  • Topic Viewed 293 times

Designing5
Designing5

I need to partition my C:drive as it it too big for what I need it. I want to split it into 2 drives with either Macrium or the Windows 7 partition feature. To be honest, I don't know which is best for my case. Has anyone made or know of a tutorial where Macrium Reflect is used? Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

What do you want to do with Macrium in this context. If you want to make extra partitions, use Disk Management. But before you do, better first post a picture of your Disk Management because you could run into a trap called Dynamic Partitions.

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

Above is, in a nutshell, my dilemma....

Posted 1 year ago

Santo
Santo

What is the operating system installed in your computer now?

If it is Windows 7, why do yo want to install it again in the newly created partition?

However if the installed OS is different, then you can install Windows 7 in the newly created partition (W).

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

25GB is too small for Windows...it will defrag very slowly for starters. I think 40GB, with no data stored on it, is the reasonable absolute minimum. I think a safe formula is to have the same amount of free space as is used so if, after installing everything, you have 25GB used you want a 50GB C: partition...allow a few gig for System Restore. This is my 42GB C:Drive...I've just re-imaged it here so the used space will eventually rise another 3GB or so to 20-22GB. Note: I don't use system restore so I can keep it smaller:

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

I have Windows 7 x64 already installed but I want to do a clean installation however, I don't have an installation CD for it. I wanted to use my 25 GB partition for this purpose. I have an iso file that I downloaded from Digital River (Win 7 x64: X17-58997).

I got my original product key that came with my system and I intend to use that. I just want to make sure that I will be able to boot up from it once installed. Also, I want to know if I will need to create a recovery partition at all or not.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....p-utility/

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If the original product key is a retail key, you can use it. If, however, it is an OEM key of an OS that came with the PC, you cannot use that. In that case you have to use the key that is on the COA sticker that is on the PC.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Ally, if you would please post a screenshot of your disk management, advising you would be easier.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

Here you go Hermit>>

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Depending on how much you want to shrink the C partition, you may be able to do it with Disk Management (less likely) or the bootable CD of partition wizard. http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

I currently have Win 7 64 Home Premium on my system and I downloaded a copy as an "bootable" iso. Does that mean that I can burn it onto a DVD and it WILL boot up from the CD that I intend to burn.

Here's that link showing that it is bootable:

I thank you for your help!!!!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Yes, use ImgBurn at 4x to burn that iso to DVD.

Jim

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

Thank you so much for your help everyone. Have a great day now!!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Thanks Ally. Hope you have a great day as well.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!