SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Any opinion to go for Windows Seven now or wait.

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Ted16
  • Latest reply from Ted16
  • Topic Viewed 1293 times

Ted16

Am presently running XP with seven transformation kit and like it so wondering as Amazon doing Windows Seven Home for less than £70.00 is it worth taking the plunge now or wait.

Thanks,
Ted

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie

You could buy it for the cut price then install it later...

Col

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Agree with Col. No need to rush into it. If it is a full package (not an upgrade), you can still install it as a test system and slowly work yourself into it.

Posted 5 years ago

Ted16

Thanks Colin & WHS,

It is the full package and have had the Seven transformation pack installed for quite some time so somewhat used to it although it obviously doesn't do everything Windows Seven does.

Ted

Posted 5 years ago

ProstheticHead

I use Vista mostly and can honestly say I haven't seen a single good reason to switch to 7 *yet*.

I will probably switch later on though. After a service pack or two I guess...

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Well, the day will come when Vista is no longer supported, and us Vista die-hards will be like the XP die-hards of today :)

Posted 5 years ago

Ted16

Thanks Prosthetichead & LH,
It looks like the answer is to wait, and although I say I am using XP the Windows Transformation Kit does change it to a form of Vista with the Seven additions. I do like the layout and extra functions.
It does create some small problems mainly with something called Winflip on starting. I just thought going the whole hog would get rid of the minor irritations.
Ted

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

i've been messing with This it gives the windows 7 look to vista.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Note. Please read the small print (a lot of people don't),
"Note: This program can only be installed on Windows Vista Version 6.0 (Build 6002 : Service Pack 2 ) VistaSP2_RM.1_ULT_RTL"

That's my good deed for the day :)

Posted 5 years ago

Jigouttrev

the beta for windows 7 has been out for sometime now, running stable and well.
I don't think there is much reason to wait, microsoft is improving a lot from vista.
i personally do not like vista and cannot wait till windows 7 comes out, i would have installed xp on my laptop but my drivers arent supported, i was too lazy to find the time to go hunt for all of them.

In short, i say there is no need to wait, i think Windows 7 has been tested enough and if your ready to upgrade then go ahead and do so.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

exactly LH, please read the small print :P

Posted 5 years ago

whs

It is always strange to see that people who do not like Vista now praise Windows7. I fail to see a big difference between the 2 systems. A few functions plus and minus cannot be it. And the Win7 GUI is not the yellow of the egg either.

Posted 5 years ago

cobija

well, i am really anxious for win 7 and i already preordered it. those people that sometimes say they should wait in case there are problems might consider that windows 7 pro and above come with xp mode, basically allowing you to run any program like it was xp without a product key :P

btw, i only have sp1, but i really want to try it..

Posted 5 years ago

Ted16

I hoped when I asked the question that the consensus would be in favour of going for it as reviews seem to all point that way but guess as always it comes down to individual preferences.
I suppose as this is my first experience of Vista via the transformation kit and not experiencing any of the problems I have read about with this OS I thought Seven would be even better.
Appreciate all the comments received.
Ted

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.