The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Any Guitarist Visit Our Forum?

(22 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by mysticgeek
  • Latest reply from pipo
  • Topic Viewed 1853 times

mysticgeek

I am curious to know if any of our visitors are guitarists or musicians of any type that use home recording software.
I am thinking of starting a lot of articles related to home recording and am just wanted to get a feel from you guys as to what you think of such an idea!?!?! Thanks guys!

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

i'm not exactly a musician, but i know how to play the guitar. i've always wanted to try some recording, music editing or music production software. so i vote yes.

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

I am a practicing and recording guitarist and have been playing for 20 years. I have recorded in several studios across the southeast, and once computer recording became practical, I embraced it fully. I have recorded several projects in my home studio, and I can honestly say that the work done there blew away all of the work done in "pro" studios....I would love reading articles on the subject, as most of what I learned came from such articles, and of course lots of hands on practice. What i would be interested in is home recording as how it relates to Vista, as I learned that the way Vista handles audio is much different than XP. In fact most (if not all) of the software and hardware that I used is not compatible with Vista, and from what I've read not much is.

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

@bomonganni Right now I am actually setting up my gear on a Vista machine. I have also read that Vista handles audio different as far as recording live. I would love to hear some of your stuff if you have it posted anywhere.

@ pipo ... as a guitarist ... I have to say the coolest way I can practice now is by throwing down a simple drum track then playing a rhythm riff or chord progression over it ... playing it all back and solo over it.

I find it much more fun than using a metronome.

Cool ... thanks for the feedback guys! Soon I will start posting some cool articles on home recording and how it relates with Vista.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

as an ex drummer (blues/rock) I still object to the use of artificial means :)
edit. for your own drum backing try this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya that would be really cool as i also dabble into guitar when i have some free time

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

@ Lighthouse ... throw down some drums and I will use them! 100-120 BPM ...????? Nothing beats a real drummer! I agree!

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

mysticgeek, you can hear some stuff I've recorded at http://www.myspace.com/bridgerocks ...all songs were recorded in my home studio...I am the guitarist and bassist on the first 2 tracks, and the guitarist on the second 2 tracks...guitars were recorded using a Line 6 POD XT Live, bass was run through an Art tube pre, drums were Roland V-drums run into an M-audio dual pre...no amps or mics were used (except for the vocals)...I know there are purists out there that would have a heart attack at that statement, but volume is an issue where I live, and space was a factor also...for me going digital was the best solution..also you can check out
http://www.myspace.com/aibmusic to hear a band that I recorded the same way, but I did not play on any of the tracks.
Keep in mind that these tracks have been converted down from WAV to mp3.....

I would be interested in what software you use, and what hardware configuration, and any compatibility issues with Vista. Cheers!

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

Hey mysticgeek are you planning to record and put together a composition of music with members from this site? If yes, i can help by giving you a keyboard beat. :)

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

@ bomonganni ... I dug the tracks on your myspace. As far as purists go ... who cares!?!? I mean... sometimes I will mic an amp and sometimes I plug it directly into my sound card... then edit it all ... it all depends on what you want. At one point I too had to worry about loudness ... and I plugged everything into my board... the straight into the computer ... the used several vst plugins to mix it all.

You can check out my old band's material @ http://www.myspace.com/prophetswitch

I will be doing some recording this weekend... and will have a few articles for you to read on my experience with Vista ... and the equipment I am using.

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

@ HASH That is a cool idea! We could all collaborate on a tune. mmmm... Anyone who is interested in this idea ... shoot me an email and we will hammer out the details...

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

What a fast reply, how did you know i left a post that quickly? Do you have a tool that alerts you? If so please tell me?

and sure, i would love to make a collabation with you guys.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

@mysticgeek
thanks for the idea on the drum track and guitar riff

also, my brother might also be interested in the articles that you'll be writing. he's a musician, maybe i could help his band with editing the songs they're doing.

Posted 6 years ago

bomonganni
bomonganni

yeah, an online collaboration would be really cool....I'm down!

and I dig your stuff as well....not bad at all, especially considering the $20 tape recorder!

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

what $20 tape recorder?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Comes just before the corner of a basement, (I think), in the writup

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

am i missing something? i don't seem to understand

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

open mysticgeeks link and read this
A propos de Prophet Switch (about Prophet Switch)

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

oh, alright, now i get it, at first i thought you said "open mysticgeek's blog," i couldn't find a blog entry about Prophet Switch, hahaha, i gotta sleep this off...

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

so, who's mysticgeek in prophet switch?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!