SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Any good guides/info for an Ubuntu newbie?

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by CHunter
  • Latest reply from lamapper
  • Topic Viewed 2454 times

CHunter

Hey, geeks!

I've been using XP for a ling time and recently acquired a new laptop with Vista and I'm learning the ins-and-outs of using Vista, but something that I've wanted to do for a while is learn how to use Ubuntu and see the differences that it has compared to Windows in general.

Can you all point me to some good resources for complete noobies that would help me get up and running with Ubuntu? Is that even the Linux OS I should start out with? I'm looking for anything really: Blogs, PDFs, forums, etc., that will help me learn about it.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

How about this one. It also has a lot of useful links. http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy#Preface

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

CHunter, do you have an Ubuntu disk?

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You could consider starting out with Wubi, which is Ubuntu but doesn't require any partitioning to run along with Windows.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Posted 5 years ago

CHunter

Scott,

I have downloaded the ISO but I haven't burned it to disk yet.

Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions! Never even heard of Wubi before. Guess I need to check that out.

Posted 5 years ago

CHunter

The Geek,

Thanks for the suggestion! Wubi seems to be doing it all for me right now.

Can't wait to see what it's like when it's installed!

Posted 5 years ago

CHunter

Okay,

So I used Wubi to download and install Ubuntu.

Two major problems that I'm having:

Can't change the screen resolution for some reason.
Can't get it to connect to my wireless internet.

I looked through the help that comes with Ubuntu, but couldn't find the answers.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

fastbullet

"Can't change the screen resolution for some reason."

That is just your 0fficial welcome-to-Linux", but don't worry, the fun has only just begun.

I don't suppose your video chip set could be nVidia, could it?

Oh, and just wait for when your sound suddenly, and for no apparent reason, quits. That's when you know you are really home.

Posted 5 years ago

lamapper

I have found the helps and tutorials here on this site, HowtoGeek very useful. They seem to be well written, concise and to the point, at least the ones I have seen...I am fairly new to this site.

Here are some additional sites that you might find interesting:

Ubuntu forums, give yourself an account and use it to give yourself more information.
Linux Questions is another good one.
How to Forge and click on one of the many version of Linux listed to the left.
Awk is a beautiful tool to learn more about AWK.
there are so many more. Most open source projects have a wiki page that you can search for. Wikipedia is getting better about giving Linux equivalent solutions so you can check there as well. At the bottom of a page you might find Wikis, home websites and FAQ pages related to the topic that may help you.

Just pick a term + linux + ? and search for it with your favorite search engine and you will have plenty of options to choose from. How about Linux + tutorial. Enjoy!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!