SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

any final thoughs on computer build befor i buy it?

(17 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by vigliottec
  • Latest reply from vigliottec
  • Topic Viewed 3177 times

vigliottec

this is the computer i will be making soon im mostly sure this is exactly what i want.

my final question is: will all these parts work togather or do i have conflicts and what is my weekest link in the build and what could i do to improvement

this computer is for games and 3d cad work and i hope to but a blu-ray dvd player in it some day down the road

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retai

ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS EN8800GTS/HTDP/512M GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1pk for System Builders DSP OEI DVD

Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

ASUS Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A-BK - OEM

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

I don't know about conflicts. You have to look that stuff up to ensure that your motherboard and CPU and Memory are compatible. Also, make sure that your PSU provides enough power, and has the right cables.

The hard drive seems a little small at 160 GB. Storage is inexpensive these days, so I would suggest that you double it, at least. That's a good rule of thumb -- whatever you think you need, double it! :-) It looks like you already did that with the RAM. You only need 2 GB, but you doubled it. Excellent!

Also, since there is plenty of overhead left on the SATA bus, you should consider a DVD-ROM drive that uses the SATA bus instead of the old IDE bus. It looks good, keep us posted on your build.

Posted 6 years ago

vigliottec

i have another hdd im going to put in so thats not a big deal... i was think of going 8gb ram lol.

the asus website does not have ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard should this be something to worrie about ... im not sure where to find if the memory is compatible.

iv checked in to making sure i have enough power and my mother board and cpu are compatible

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

I agree with ScottW about the DVD drive... go with SATA, it's about the same price. You can get a DVD-R SATA drive for less than $30.

The power supply has enough power, I think. Not sure about the connectors.

If you are going to go with 8GB I'd recommend doing that up-front rather than waiting and being unable to find identical memory to match... although 8GB is only really necessary if you are going to be running virtual machines or server stuff.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

That's odd about the motherboard. I'm not finding it in the Product listing at Asus, either. I did find this support article showing supported processors for the P5C and the Q6600 is on the list.
http://support.asus.com/cpusup.....;model=P5Q

I'd still like to see more specs and even a manual for this board.

EDIT: newegg provided this link under "Manufacturer Info". Strange that a search at Asus didn't turn up this page.
http://www.asus.com/products.a.....odelmenu=1

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Yeah, I found the same page via another site, via google.

Looks like it should support the processor without any problems.

Posted 6 years ago

vigliottec

sould i be worried that we cant fint more info on the board ...it sounds like a great board though

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Asus makes solid products, I pretty much always use them.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

vigliottec, I think you have all of the information that you need. That second link I posted above in the EDIT section is the standard information page from Asus. It has an overview, spec sheet, qualified vendors list, and in the downloads section you can the latest BIOS updates and a PDF version of the manual. That manual is 184 pages and you can read it cover to cover before even buying the motherboard.

I don't think that you should be worried. What more info did you expect to find?

Posted 6 years ago

vigliottec

i more ment the fact that it was hard to find ...it seems odd but now that i have all the info evey thing looks great

im going to go ahead and buy eveything next week

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Oh, I see what you are saying. No, that's not a problem either. This board is just very new. See from this press release that it was to be released 2Q08 which means end of this month at the latest:
http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=10670

Apparently, it's so new that they haven't yet added the page with all the info into the rest of their website. So, the page is there, just not linked and searchable. The good thing about a newly released board is it has all the latest tech, such as that ICH10R Southbridge. The only slight downside is that fewer folks have used this board, so there is less feedback and fewer bug fixes. Luckily, firmware upgrades can fix most bugs.

Like The Geek, I have a high opinion of Asus despite the loud complaints of a vocal minority.

Posted 6 years ago

vigliottec

ya i really like asus i tried to stick with them as much as i could

how does this board conpair to the new boards with x38 and x48 chip sets it seems like a big jup in price is it a big jup in speed?

Posted 6 years ago

mika7367

Why do you only want a 160 Gb hdd when you can get 500-750 Gb for maybe $20-$30 more ??.

Posted 6 years ago

vigliottec

i own a 500gig external and a 250enternal(in a external case) which ill put in my comp as well

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

I get the feeling you plan to oc this pc, if so check out this power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817371009 I just built a new system a few months ago and a good power supply can't be stressed enough. For cooling go with the Thermalright 120-Ultra Extream http://www.heatsinkfactory.com.....16602.html and get a Scythe 120mm fan for it. Also, keep in mind that this is a CrossFire and not an SLI board, so if two graphics cards are in the future, you need to look at ATI cards.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Budo, which motherboard is CrossFire? vigliottec is looking at an Asus P5Q which only has 1 PCI-E x16 slot. I don't see two graphics cards in the future.

Posted 6 years ago

vigliottec

i thought about oc but i never did it before an i have no idea ho to

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.