How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Anti virus renual

(33 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by abrar
  • Latest reply from jmeeks49
  • Topic Viewed 1056 times

ispalten
ispalten

Ruja, what DO YOU base your statement on, "In my opinion Norton is crap"?

First it isn't. Yes, any and ALL A/V's can load down a low performance system, period... some maybe more than others.

Free vs. Fee, well some Fee can be Free. In the US on Black Friday sales (the day after Thanksgiving) most computer stores will sell s/w at huge discounts with some having rebates if you own prior versions for either free or a low $10 or so price. I buy my Norton ISS like that and save the license number until ours expire (3 PC box versions). I can't remember the last time I actually spent more than a stamp to get the refund (yeah, I loaned Symantec $60 for a month or so, and I do know some people have problems getting rebates).

Also look at this --> www.pcworld.com/article/210589.....pared.html, a little old but mostly valid.

I myself PREFER a suite. Total protection, both in and out... to each their own.

Norton is 'crap' you say? Hmm, a lot of sites sort of differ with you, see :

http://download.cnet.com/Norto.....92551.html
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/rev.....13-review/
http://www.nextadvisor.com/int.....review.php
http://privacy-pc.com/internet.....eview.html
http://www.7tutorials.com/secu.....urity-2013
http://www.comparedandreviewed.....ity/review
http://www.nextadvisor.com/int.....ompare.php
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2025951/review-norton-internet-security-2013-solid-performer-with-a-polished-interface.html

Do I work or have I worked for Norton, NO, but I am a user, for many years. And I've used others too and even now, McAfee is on one machine that shipped with it. As soon as it is off subscription, Norton ISS is going on it, from using both it appears Norton is better (subjective). Why not move now, because I know removing ANY suite can be a pain. I'll cross that bridge when I have too.

Is 'Free' bad? Absolutely not. But I want a suite, not a collection of apps creating a suite. One interface.

Ask yourself this? If a suite is free, who pays to do the work? Some suites and A/V's have paid counterparts and they might pay the way, but why would someone pay if Free was the same. It isn't... either updating is slower or some other feature (maybe you don't need that feature).

BTW, all A/V's are good, until something slips by and you get infected. Maybe you practice SAFE COMPUTING and wouldn't be infected anyway, you never know when you'll get a ZERO-DAY attack either...

I've been infected with Norton running. In most cases it did stop it cold. In ONE it didn't, it let part of the payload in. That was sitting in a TEMP folder and on every boot re-installed itself that Norton caught. Simple removal of the file fixed that.

I wouldn't disparage any app or vendor unless one has proof.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I am learning new English words every day. 'Renual' was one I did not know yet, but it sounds good, LOL.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Before you buy a renual you have to first buy something nu. However, you must consider that for many posters on this forum English is not their first language and I, for one, congratulate them on how well they do in expressing themselves.

I would not attempt to join a German speaking forum even though I spent 5 wonderful years there. I would not go hungry, though, as long as they still have bier und schnitzel.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I observed on many forums that the English native speakers are the worst offenders - Americans, Brits, Australians, etc. The foreign speakers are usually very good.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

@whs, I have noticed that myself and glad someone else besides me pointed that out :)

I'm bilingual, Spanish being my root followed by English. (BTW if it wasn't for the auto-correct I was about to spell "being" - "bieng") LOL

I'd say I can read, write, & speak both languages fairly well... (if it weren't for those tiny details!) :)

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

@ispalten I base my statement ("In my opinion Norton is crap") in my own experience, having cleaned multiple infections from PCs 'protected' (so to speak) with Norton Internet Security Suites. I admit this was some time ago, the last time was about a year and a half ago on a Windows XP. Most of those people had renewed the Norton subscription only because it was preinstalled in their PC. I find Norton's UI overwhelming for the casual computer user, and invasive in some ways (read Norton toolbar).

I admit also I've had several requests of people with that "Your PC is locked, pay $100 to unlock it" malware, that were using MSE. But for the ones looking for a free antivirus product I find it the best one in terms of protection, and also because of its UI (I can still remember when my friend's AV voice-alerted the whole library that the virus database was updated, that was hilarious, can't remember the AV's name though).

The only AV I did not have a single problem with (as of now) was ESET Smart Security, which I used for 4 years. And yes, I do prefer the suite for myself and for tech users, but not for the casual user (maybe I should have clarified that). To the people seeking help from me I always recommended the antivirus-only ESET NOD 32 as a paid solution, and those of them using it did not have a single problem either. A full security suite is of little help if one doesn't know how to use it properly and to configure it to their needs, and in my opinion paying more for it is non-sense.

Now, in my case, I use Ubuntu, with MSE on my Windows partition just in case. For everybody else those are my recommendations: Remove Norton if it came preinstalled with your PC (don't wait for the trial to end), then use MSE (free) or ESET NOD 32 (paid) with Windows Firewall, and ESET Smart Security if you want a full suite. I know free is not the same as paid, that's why I offer both options.

But, as I said, this is just my opinion. And I have no problem in debating it. Thanks for your post!

@Xhi "Before you buy a renual you have to first buy something nu." - You made my day!!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Bad advice. I don't know about Eset, but Norton 2013 is definitely better than MSE. You get a more thorough protection and more frequent definition updates. Plus it has a lot more settings.

I use both, Norton and MSE (on different systems) and whilst I already caught 2 nasties on the MSE systems and never had a problem with Norton. That goes along with several of the professional AV tests I have seen where MSE did not do so well.

Posted 1 year ago

BobinSECO

As if anyone cares, for about 3 years now this has been the foundation of my security regimen:
Standard User for daily surfing
Avast! (which was probably the voice in the library!! lol)
Windows Defender
Firefox
NoScript
3rd-party cookies with permission ONLY
Click-to play Flash (only recently)
Undesired services disabled (blackviper.com)
Java (recently) uninstalled

I also maintain my Dad's computer. Neither of us has contracted a single virus in these 3 years.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

LOL. "it has a lot more settings". That's exactly what I, and newbies, don't want.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Under 'general' usage MANY suites and individual products ARE set for maximum warnings it seems, not for little interaction with the user. They appear to WANT you to know what is happening. This has been my feeling with almost every suite and A/V I've used. In many cases this IS daunting to users and sort of scares them away and makes them think the apps are slow and annoying. Just like UAC is when it bings and blackens the screen, it is done SO YOU KNOW.

I personally feel I'd rather have a paid app (and if you understand what I wrote about Black Friday, it is FREE or cheap) than rely on protection getting to me late because the free app isn't updated as often. Even if I had to spend the list price of $80 for 3 PC's a year I don't think it is that much per PC. Apps like Nero costs the same, and many give you NO credit when a new version is released, you have to buy again, and again, ...

What IS important is SYSTEM LOAD (Performance) and PERCENT CATCHING, which is hard to really calculate. Something that catches 100% of the known exploits is useless if it can't catch all the latest ones on a timely manner. Yeah, someone has to be hit by a Zero-day and have it reported before it can be remedied, but the speed and accuracy of getting the Zero-day Exploit protection out is paramount.

Like WHS says, in almost all A/V tests/reviews I've seen, MSE doesn't fare well. Think about this, MS would be a in world of hurt if they made a product that put other A/V makers out of business, especially if they used hidden API calls. MSE is just 'good enough' so you have some level of protection I suspect. Can you say 'bundling'? They are NOT about to do that, think IE...

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

LOL!!!! entertaining thread...nothing like an "AV question" to get the print working..(' Like Men behind the wheel'..almost human till they start the engine:):)

I hear! read !all the fores and against,! I have always paid for' Bullguard' and then as was mentioned run SAS and Malaware also have spyware blaster and clean daily.

Whatever!!! as long as we can feel confident and safe CHOL:):)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

"LOL. "it has a lot more settings". That's exactly what I, and newbies, don't want"

LH, I understand. There must be AV programs for the simple folks. Then they are easy pray.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Kate,

i heard that! LOL LOL men can hear and read to you know!! LOL LOL LOL

John

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!