The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Anti Virus Boot Disk

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Dpehrensing
  • Latest reply from BillMichie
  • Topic Viewed 9477 times

Dpehrensing

I want to create an all in one anti virus boot disk that when I insert the cd it boots from and automatically will check for updates on said anti virus/spyware programs then scan my HDD. I'm currently using UBCD4Win to but it is not automated. Can this be done and if so How can I achieve this?

Posted 5 years ago

BillMichie

Two problems: 1st: this is my very first post here (just joined today), so I may mess up somehow. Forgive...

2nd: I don't understand (fully) your question (about "updates on said anti virus/spyware programs").
Regardless, I'll offer at least a method that I have used successfully. It doesn't require any specific antivirus program at all. But does require a bootable CD.

The antivirus program that I use is Avira's AntiVir Personnel (free version). Avira also offers a self-booting CD that boots a system, and runs its own spyware detection (and various ways to 'disinfect' procedures). While running it looks very 'odd' (it is Linux based), but it seems to 'fix/hide' offending spyware -- at least good enough to let a infected system run again.

See: http://www.avira.com/en/suppor.....loads.html -- and get the rescueCD.exe (which lets you burn the bootable CD, about 49MB or, I think, you can order a pre-built CD).

I used it on a friend's laptop that simply wouldn't run at all (turns out it was really *badly* infected, about 120 infections of some sort -- and, in addition, its own antivirus had been damaged/compromised . [Friend's son had loaned it to a fellow student. <G>]. I got it cleaned out, and running again (after its marking of 'bad' programs; then one can delete them if so desired.)

Standard disclaimer: I have no association with Avira, other than being a satisfied user for many years.

Good luck.

Bill

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.